Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Dueling Asianistas

Steel
3102 Oak Lawn
Dallas, TX 75219
Phone: 214-219-9908

Drailon
3102 Oak Lawn
Dallas, TX 75219
Phone: 214-219-6880

Asianista - a restaurant that has mastered the art of trendy Asian-inspired food. My favorite Asianista, Citizen, has been gone for a while now but luckily there are two very good subs in the Centrum building - Steel and Drailon.

As the story goes, the owner of Drailon used to be partners and co-owner of Steel, then something went terribly wrong and one left to start Drailon. Not that he had to go too far since he opened right next door to Steel. A little friendly in-your-face competition never hurt anyone.

These two are basically the same place although Drailon is a bit more polished sit-down and Steel is a bit more urban funk. Both have incredible sushi and other Asian offerings. Now that they have been open for more than a year, the Dallas sheep people who involuntarily flock to their self-appointed hip places have moved on so its safe to visit them again.


Lauren and Big Mike @ Drailon


I took this picture after Lauren's discussion of how Depeche Mode songs remind her of sex. Isn't that interesting. Big Mike was responding with his own memory-triggered comments about what reminds him of sex, it wasn't Depeche Mode however :) Lauren is enjoying this conversation a little too much, no?



Tara's pink shoe, Galina, Noeha, Big Mike and Lauren @ Steel


Why is everyone winking in this shot?



6 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

I've been so scared to go to those places for the reason that I wanted to avoid the herd. I appreciate you blazing the trail for me and letting us know the coast is clear.

How come you're never in these pictures?

9:22 AM

 
Blogger The Persian said...

Well let's hear what sparks yours Jimbo! :)

(Oh and I am with Lauren, but most likely not for the same reason)

11:32 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL Adam, enter with confidence.

Oh, not in them because I am taking them.

5:37 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hmm, you mean besides the usual; Apple Pie a la mode, Enigma, produce isle @ Central Market and anything made by De Walt?

Can't think of a thing :)

5:38 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Jim,

Adam askes the question I have been asking myself for a while...
Maybe just once... can ya jump in front of the camera??

12:10 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ah Scotty, ordinarily I would be able to jump in front of the camera before the lens makes it final descent but my hyper warp astral plane projection watch is in the shop right now :)

Maybe I will let someone else touch my camera next time ... but its new, so dont count on it!

7:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home