Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Jacked Up

As most people know I started working on a Masters degree last May. I had a huge chunk of undergraduate work to complete before I could start on the graduate courses. Undergraduate courses exposed me to an age range with whom I usually have no contact. (Right, I can't truly relate to the world of an 18 year old anymore). This has been a source of incredible entertainment, especially the new lingo. I had never heard the phrase "Jacked Up" until last year when I was in an undergrad biology course surrounded by 18-21 year olds. I don't think there is a single de facto standard for the definition of "Jacked Up" considering regional dialects and situational context but here is what I have learned.


  • (verb): to inflict discomfort, pain or embarassment - preferably all three. Ex: "Dude, one more word out of you and I'll jack you up!"
  • (adjective): situation in which some injustice has occured. Ex: "Dude, thats jacked up that his family was killed by a pack of wild pigs"
  • (adjective): on drugs. Ex: "Dudes all jacked up on something and running naked down the street"
  • (verb): to increase. Ex: "Jack up the heat on that curry!"
  • (adjective): in good physical shape. Ex: "Chicas all jacked up and bangin'!"
  • (adjective): broken. "Ex: Dammit, my Ipod is all jacked up"

And this part of my education is totally free :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home