Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Austin

Leslie is one of my best friends, we have known each other for 21 years. About 6 years ago she relocated from SFO to Austin. Its terribly coincendental that I may soon be moving to Austin myself.

Part of my trip was to visit with Leslie and catch up, another part was to scope out the real estate scene. I'm a downtown kinda guy so I started with downtown. Apparently there is a feeding frenzy for downtown Austin real estate so there was not much on the market, and what was on the market was dreadfully expensive. I did really like this loft on 5th street. One block from the 6th street entertainment distrcit and within walking distance of a Whole Foods. The Hilton and Marriott were both right across the street. 2 blocks from I-35, 5 minutes from UT Austin. Nice!


Leslie & Trey the realtor @ 5th st Loft, Austin


Its shaped like a big J; long and narrow entry curving to the bedroom space and around again to the bathroom/closet area. Look at ALL of those windows :)



Kitchen - 5th st Loft, Austin


This kitchen is SO huge compared to the one I operate within now!



The bedroom space


Right off the bedroom space is a small terrace looking over 5th street. Its a mesh bottom floor allowing you to see 3 floors straight down to the street. I love that!


Bathroom space with shower for 6 (oh and me :)


Austin has distinct advantages. It is a very outdoor and health conscious population. Unlike Dallas, they actually have a functional residential downtown (with services and interesting places to go). It is more centrally located to other TX cities. Austin is the only liberally minded city in Texas. Austin is the only hilly and scenic region in Texas.

When I'm in Austin I very much feel as though I'm in Northern California.


13 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

It was big enough for a table and four chairs. Might be nice for a rainforest dinner theme :)

11:29 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Windows windows windows! Ya just cant have enough of them. Nice space. Did you see anyone else who lives in that complex? Nothing worse than moving in next door to a hawaiian log drum school or bagpipe maker.
Is the building huge or is it a set up where they have two lofts per floor? You didn't show pictures of my room?

11:22 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Scotty, yes I saw a late 50's couple, probably empty nesters, and an early 30's gay couple. There are 30 units on 4 floors, the building spans a whole downtown block so the spaces are all long but not wide. Its a conversion of a 1950 retail building.

I was thinking you could have the shower as a room since its about the size of my current 2nd bedroom :)

7:12 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

:)

8:11 PM

 
Blogger Adam said...

One of these units was featured on the show Small Space Big Style on the Style network. I never understood why they thought that unit was small. Its positively cavernous.

You look hot in that bathroom

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Adam :)

I thought it was huge. With high ceiling and windows all 'round it looked even larger than it was (1350 sf).

3:53 PM

 
Blogger The Persian said...

It looks very spacious, need a roomate? I agree with Adam, you look great in that picture. (as always!)

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Sangroncito, lets hope an awesome job pops up for me in Austin at the end of year!

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Jim! Roomate? Sure, you could be my official taster when I get into experimental cooking mode :)

4:41 PM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Austin sounds wonderful!

7:39 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

It is Scott, you will have to make a trip out!

7:53 AM

 
Blogger DEREK said...

great looking place, lots of room. You need to post more pictures of yourself. Your very nice looking.

8:34 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Derek, appreciate it!

12:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home