Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Soufflé

Soufflé comes from the french verb souffler, which loosely means to puff up. Appropriate, eh? Quickly glancing over the ingredients of a soufflé might make someone think these are easy to prepare; its just eggs, beaten egg whites and some flavoring like cheese or chocolate. Ha! I've tried making these many times and each time it fails in a newer, more fabulous way!

Good thing Dallas now has a eatery that specialized in just soufflés, I can give those experiments a rest for the time being.



I thought it was a bold move to specialize in such a fringey item. But this place is busy, busy at all times, even Sunday at 230p we still had to wait for a table. But don't let that stop you, they have a nice wine by the glass section and a comfortable waiting area.

I barely recognized the former Lover's Egg Roll space. Gone are the gross smells and sights of the former fast food establishment, happily replaced by something I could only describe as eccentric country-French gone strip mall. I liked it; it was warm, cozy and the prefect environment for what would become almost 4 hours of dining.


Interior


There are other menu options but why would you want them? We had nine people so between us we tried everything on the small but delicious menu. The only item we missed was the Lobster Thermidor Soufflé, but we thought at $33, we could definitely wait on that no matter how good it might be. I have to say everything was excellent but my favorites were the wild mushroom variety for the entree and the casis variety for the dessert.


Wild Mushroom Soufflé



Casis Soufflé


Service is friendly and as quick as possible for soufflé; keep in mind these cant be cranked out quickly. Also something different for Dallas, the service mindset is European; they will not rush you out the door when you are done. Its unspoken but understood, after you are seated at the table, it is yours until closing.

If you're in the area and haven't been yet, I recommend going before the pod people discover it. Oh, and you may want to stock up on Lipitor before you go.

Rise Soufflé
5360 W. Lovers @ Inwood Village
(In space formerly known as Lover's Egg Roll)
Dallas, TX 75209

214.366.9900

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those are some serious looking souffle's!!!

I've always been scared to try my hand at making one. I guess I should make an attempt at some point.

6:29 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Best of luck if you do, Jason! And if you learn the secret, let me know. I think part of the success is having a hotter than normal oven.

8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home