Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Moon

I didn't go see Julie and Julia this weekend like the rest of the world. The film I did see, people had told me was like 2001 Space Odyssey. It wasn't. Sure, it took place off-planet and there was a talking computer involved but that is where the similarity ended.

The story line is clever and it will ambush you somewhere mid-film. I think just the title gives the impression that this will be about sci-fi space exploration, possbily involving high technobabble and perhaps aliens that need a good thrashing. Not even in the right ballpark. Juxtaposition of the waning humanity of corporate ethics and the rising humanity of a systematically oppressed population define the ballpark.

Filming style is great; some of the moon-to-earth scenes are simply beautiful. Choppy, grainy segments capture an expected reality of traversing the moon's surface on foot and vehicle. Framing of Sam Rockwell in the particularly emotional scenes was tight and angular, tweezing even more tension out of an existing hand-wringer.

Sam Rockwell does an outstanding job, considering he is only person on film for 2 hours. I've heard his performance in this film compared to Tom Hanks' in Cast Away. Kind of, but Sam Rockwell plays two characters simultaneously, both different personalities and motivations, both come across in a frighteningly believable way.

So far, post Oscar, Moon is my favorite film - brilliant.



Moon
10/10

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Great review. I'll have to check it out.

7:25 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

John, I'm sure you'll enjoy. It generated much conversation with all my bio and med friends. I'm really surprised this one hasnt been in the crosshairs of the religious right. However, its probably slightly beyond their capacity to understand.

6:55 PM

 
Anonymous derek said...

howdy mr are you on facebook?

4:57 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Derek, no, Ive succesfully avoided facebook! :)

6:14 AM

 
Blogger suzy said...

facebook is such an increadible time sink. It is good to avoid it, but then again, I waste tons of time there
Great review!

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thats what I've seen about Facebook. Frankly I barely have time for this blog, lol :)

1:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home