Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tickets, Money, Passport!

I went to visit my friends Laurel and Andrew in Allen yesterday. They gave me directions from campus, which is in Richardson, already 20 minutes north of home. Directions said about 20 minutes north of campus. I hate to admit it but I have become one of those highly localized people; I rarely go north of Northwest Highway except for classes.

So this will be an adventure, off into uncharted territory. Directions say take Custer north. Ok, simple enough. Pass McDermott. OK, I'll look for it. Hmm, typical suburbia; strip mall, Krogers, subdivision, strip mall, fast food, subdivision. Hey, wasnt that the same subdivision? No, wait, the brick they use on this one is an entirely different shade of beige! Silly me.

Strip mall, Blockbuster, Mexican Food, subdivision. Subdivision, strip mall, cows. Cows? Yes, cow pasture, big one. Where am I, Oklahoma?

Strip mall, bitter soccer mom in Expedition, wait, is that a vodka bottle shes holding up to her mouth? Dang, I dont blame her, if had to drive this far up this road I would drink too.

Strip mall, subdivision, AH, McDermott, good, a marker. Now I need to turn right somewhere up here. Strip mall, subdivision, strip mall, teenager - probably on heroin, geez, what else is there for them to do up here. I doubt he's really into cow tipping.

Strip mall, subdivision, corn field. Corn field? I'm in Kansas apparently. Subdivision, subdivision. What state is north of Kansas? Isnt it Canada, I think thats where I'm heading. Do I need a passort for Canada?

Ah, my turn!

Then there's the house. Oh my god. This isnt a house its a indoor stadium. Is this where the ColdPlay concert is? Yay, and I got such a good parking space. I dont think I've been in houses in Highland Park that are this nice. In fact, those Highland Park houses seem like mobile homes in comparison; trailer trash with Gucci sunglasses I say. What detail - turret ceilings, granite, marble, wait, is that a glass block window in the kitchen? Oooh, two story living area with catwalks, cool. Wow, the "bar" area upstairs is bigger than my bedroom! A sunken media room with flat screen TV? I think I'm seeing the advantage of living in Kansas now.

I have dibs on the upstairs bedroom that looks out over the pool and spa area. I could just live there until I'm done with school, they'd never even spot me.

2 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Isn't it amazing what people can buy if they move a little further north?

1:02 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I know, its crazy. Of course there is also that loooong commute to counteract.

9:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home