Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Aberzombie

Standing in line at the grocery today I overheard two young ladies commenting on a young man walking in.

"UGH, cute but yet another Aberzombie!"

Aberzombie? Must be some reference, and not a good one, to Abercrombie & Fitch. A&F is a style, I suppose, I see alot of it on campus. It looks good on 20-somethings but I'm a bit too counter-culture to embrace it.

Ever the researcher I had to look it up on UrbanDictionary. com, its amusing entry is as follows.

Abercrombie

The type of clothing worn by Aberzombies, a peculiar specimen which infest college campuses and upscale suburban high schools across the North American landmass.

Nominally a human being, the Aberzombie is easily identifiable by large advertisements worn on its chest and buttocks. It tends to come from wealthy stock, drives an SUV and mates exclusively with other Aberzombies.

The musical taste of the Aberzombie is limited to bands like Dave Matthews and O.A.R. Its SUV is typically emblazoned with a sticker reading "DMB" so as to communicate its bland taste in music to potential mates.

The Aberzombie is not without its natural enemies, however. Most prominent among them are independent thought and a sense of style. The Aberzombie will go to great lengths not to face such horrific ideas, most often by associating only with fellow Aberzombies. In the rare case that it is exposed to outside ideas/free thought, it will utilize its only defense mechanism: complaining that others are envious and simply cannot afford Abercrombie clothing.

Source: Kim Jong-Il, Jan 12, 2005


I laughed till I snorted when I discovered there is an Amberzombie website, Aberzombie.


Just my bit of fun for today :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Good thing you weren't drinking milk when you laughed. Hate that.

10:03 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Or vodka, which is so much worse :)

10:23 PM

 
Blogger cola boy said...

Very funny! Now how about going after Hollister?

6:38 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Lasomniloquy, That is funny! I really should visit one of their stores too, just for the experiencial knowledge. But wait, that would take time away from buying stuff on ebay! :)

8:59 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Cola, Hey!

Hollister? Oooo, I must research :)

8:59 AM

 
Blogger The Great Cranky One said...

Well I admit I have in the past and still do fall into the category of a die hard Abercrombie fan. I have or have had several reasons.

1) I used to work there and enjoyed the eye candy.

2) I amdit it I am a closet plaid whore. I just love plaid i don't know why and they have some of the best patterns usually. EEEK! My secret is out!

3) For a longtime they were one of the only places that had jeans that fit me well. Target's Mossimo line now fits me equally as well. I think i just have a think for low rise jeans they are more comfy.

But alas i am now to old at the age of 28 and have gained just enuf weight from being happily married that I no longer fit their image so I would not be welcome to work there again.

This will kill ya too...when I worked there the manager had to take pictures of prospective employees and send them to the district manager for looks approval.

-Tim

9:24 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hey Cranky One! Must agree that the A&F types I see at University are definitely attractive and I like the look on them.

I still appreciate the contrarian sarcasm of the Aberzombie site too, its all good fun.

That does kill me that the manager wanted photos of prospective employees. But honestly, when one sells an image product, one should proabably project that image -- just business sense afterall.

28? You are not too old to wear anything, you are just a wee puppy!

1:58 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Lasomniloquy, I went to Hollister's site. I think someone will start poking fun at them too. Have to admit I would be more willing to buy Hollister since their price point is darn good. You may be dead on about the stock tip!

2:01 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I miss that element of San Francisco, Sangroncito.

That kind of ad would never appear here in the heart of Texas, it might be construed as having an opinion, which of course should never be expressed openly, lol ;)

6:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home