Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

People Primavera














With Spanish Tapas on my mind after our leisurely evening at De Tapas I was thinking, Hmmm, I should make some tapas and invite a few people over. I got on Google and punched in 'Spanish Tapas Tomatoes' hoping to score a recipe -- Maybe a nice 'Tomatoes in Garlic' like the one we had in Memphis or that great 'Tomatoes in Saffron Cream Sauce' like the one we had in New York.

This was not what I was expecting.

First it was running down claustrophobic corridors while being chased by bulls that could gore and kill you on a whim, now this. Leave it to those passionate, hot-blooded and yes, crazy, Spaniards to create the world's largest food fight.

Welcome to Bunol, Spain. A quiet, unassuming Spanish town of only 9,000 people. On the last Wednesday of August the town has a festival called La Tomatina. The town square fills with thousands upon thousands of people, 125,000 kilos of tomatoes and they spend hours and hours hurling them at each other. Notice in the pictures that little clothing is worn for the duration of this event. Why bother with clothing really, it will just be destroyed anyway.

Investigating a little further, utterly fascinated and now completely sidetracked from my original mission, I discovered that this festival is big business and a huge tourist destination. The hotels and restaurants in Bunol offer 'package deals' for the event. They are seriously booked up, even a year in advance.

IHMO, La Tomatina has distinct adavantage over other street festivals like Madris Gras. Which would you rather see: A bunch of drunk people dropping trou for a handful of platstic jewelry or 20,000 scantily-clad Spaniards, whipped into a frenzy and covered in tomato pulp? I would have to choose the latter.

When I looked at the pictures I thought, this looks like an orgy directed by none other than spurned high school home coming queen, Carrie.

I never did find my tapas information but who cares, this was way more interesting. I think I may have found a theme for Noehas next party. I wonder if Krogers will give a discount if we buy the tomatoes in bulk?




People Primavera


  • 20,000 people
  • 125,000 kilos tomatoes

Remove most of the outer clothing from the people. Toss vigorously in tomatoes until aggressions just begin to release. Garnish with wild laughter, reckless abandon and enjoy immediately.



7 Comments:

Blogger cola boy said...

Viva La Tomato! Looks like messy fun. :-)

8:01 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, I know. I have yet another reason to visit Spain ;)

8:48 AM

 
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Jim... what is this food angle in your blog all about? Now, everytime I go to your blog... I get hungry looking at all the food posts you have been making.

11:14 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Well hey there Brett!

Re: the food angle, just staying true to my blog tag line of 'Food, Film, School and other Random Thoughts'.

I think this falls under food AND random ... lol.

12:26 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Right, I know Sam! If you can make it there next August, I will let you throw the first tomato at me :-D

12:34 PM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Was there vodka involved here? That would be one hellofa bloody mary.

3:56 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Well hey Purple!

Good idea, I will have to remember to pack my Vodka, hmmm and Tobasco and celery salt :) lol

3:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home