Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Suffering For Happiness

From the Buddhist perspective every day of our existence in physical form is hell. Acknowledging this hell, that earthly life is based on suffering, not happiness, is the cornerstone of their belief system. The point to life, they claim, is to transcend earthly concerns, to dismantle the lie, the prefabricated societal architecture, to go beyond it to what is true.

But if I had a partner and soulmate, I would be happy. But if I had more money, I would be happy. But if I had 2.5 children, a big house in an affluent neighborhood, a late model BMW and Palm Pilot full of names and addresses called friends, then, yes then, I would truly be happy.

This is crap. I know plenty of people who have traversed this 'A then B then C, D and E' path who are still very much unhappy. It isn't a destination, this ellusive happiness, its something you pick up along the way from the struggle. Without the struggle, there is no contrast and the happiness is non-existent. Without the struggle there is numbness, an anesthetized void ending with 'And here rests ...'

There is a writer in Seattle who crafts the blog, Living Above Ground, I'm obviously a fan. Her most recent post, "This morning was rough...met the world without an airbag" is a portal into this very struggle. Its a riveting piece, any further comment I could make would seem trite.

Living Above Ground

6 Comments:

Blogger Brettcajun said...

Considering I have been throwing my own "Pity Party" this week, I need to read what she has written!

9:06 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You'll love it, Brett.

No pity party for you, big man, you have too much going on for that.

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hey Sam! From the Buddhist head I think the difference is that the thing, the material item, is not what generates happiness but rather the struggle -- the willingness to examine, explore, go out a limb, be completely insane, defy convention, break rules, make mistakes and pay for them -- this is what makes the path worthwile.

Hopefully that made sense and no, I haven't been drinking ... yet! :)

6:57 PM

 
Blogger M said...

Very Good Read indeeed - Always good information flowing from you blog Jim :-)

3:44 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Sangroncito - Yes, isnt that the truth, I'm glad you found that place!

11:19 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Matt - Why thank you, I'm glad you still enjoy the read and get something out of it ! :)

11:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home