Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Where It Hurts

Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon and Utah. These are the states that have ammended their constitutions to ban same sex marriage.

I'm not going to waste time engaging in rhetoric over this issue, since calling it an issue is giving it too much credit - its wrong and everyone with the capacity for simple analytical thought knows it too. Yet still it is being presented in state after state constructing a collective ass-smelly display of how far we have not progressed.

It will pass in Texas too, it doesn't take clairvoyance to determine that outcome.

But here is the thing that puzzles me. Collectively the gay and lesbian communities in this country hold a whopping 620 billion dollar fist of economic power, over 60 billion of that is spent on travel. Why doesnt the collective economic power start banding together? Example: Dont travel to these states, dont buy products from these states, cut them off.

Really, if you want someone to listen to you, you have to kick them where it hurts the most, the wallet.


7 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Damnit I was just getting ready for my grand tour of Kentucky, Utah, and North Dakota.

Im optomistic for Texas honestly. I think that if enough people get out and vote, the right people that is, then it wont pass. I dont think that the wingnuts are licking thier wounds right now and still tired out from last year's stolen election. I think they might just sit this one out.

8:48 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, Adam, I'm sorry about putting a downer on your tour. And I certainly hope you are right about the outcome but I will be the contrast to your optomism on this one.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Jeff,

Thanks for commenting.

What you mention is precisely what worries me. Now people in power are using the ammendent as a shield to deflect finger pointing as they take away even more.

Look at Michigan, the freaking governor is instigating removal of benefits based on their new constitution.

2:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Sangroncito, I will hold them down and you can kick away :)

2:09 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Catchya, Agreeing with you completely. I believe financial sanctions work better, the problem is getting the collective power to act.

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

jeff in toledo,
That is horrible. I had no idea it was illegal to even offer parnership coverage. THIS OHIO you speak of STINKS!

7:39 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

And Scotty, it isnt just Ohio. Making these ammendments just paves the way for more of the same.

Nov 8th, Texans, go get 'em!

10:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home