Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Coming Out

I have a friend who is coming out to his parents this weekend. To say that he is concerned might be an understatement. Myself, I crossed that bridge so long ago it seems ancient. In an attempt to assuage his fears I simply reconunted some of my coming out episodes. While I'm certain others have had more dramatic, even painful incidents, mine were a little on the anticlimactic side.


Mom & Dad

Me: I have something to tell you, its important.

Mom & Dad
: Oh, well sure, what is it?

Me: I'm gay.

Mom & Dad: I thought you said important, we already know that.

Me: Oh

Mom & Dad: Was there anything else you wanted to tell us?

Me: No, I guess thats it.

Mom & Dad: Alrighty then.




Aunt

Me: I'm gay

Aunt: OH, Thank God, maybe you can help me pick out a scarf for this dress!

Me: Oh, LOL.



Best Female Friend In High School

Me: I'm gay

Friend: Of course you are, your socks match your shirt, both which I might add, are purple.

Me: Oh, LOL.



Best Male Friend In High School

Me: I'm gay

Friend: Me too.

Me: But you're a football player and you have a girlfriend.

Friend: Tricky, isnt it? So, wanna go out tomorrow night?

Me: Is this a friend thing or a date thing?

Friend: Yes

And to think our friend-date thing went on for 11 years.

14 Comments:

Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

If I get to pick one, I vote for the last little dialogue. Good thing your folks didn't refer you to that bizarro "therapist" on CNN

5:56 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Wouldnt have done any good, Daniel, silly to try to 'fix' what isn't broken.

6:08 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Me: Mom...Dad, there's something that I've needed to talk to you about for awhile...ummmm....ahhh...

DAD: You're gay.

MOM: WHAT?

ME: Yes

MOM: WHAT?

DAD: I knew, but obviously your mother didn't. We love you anyway.

MOM: WHAT?

ME: I love you to Dad.

DAD: Get your mother some water.

7:56 PM

 
Blogger NeiLDC said...

I was TRAMEDY-- Tragedy comedy series...with a bit of touch!LIOR

6:09 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Steve, that is priceless! Glad it worked out well for you too. Oh, I sure hope your mom got her glass of water :)

7:14 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

TRAMEDY, I have to remember that one, its good!

7:14 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

I'm particularly fond of the football player one. I think I saw that in a movie somewhere...

I told my parents after my first big break up. Well, rather they found me weeping hysterically in my bedroom. Even then, a drama queen. They were great, they dealt with my broken heart, not my being gay.

8:22 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Now that I think about it, it doesnt sound a little after-school Limetime special. LOL

You parents sound awesome, Ryan. So far, everyone here sounds very lucky.

8:53 AM

 
Blogger The Persian said...

Wow..see now why didnt I come out in high school so I could play with the tight ends :)


(cheesy I know)


Have a great weekend :)

9:55 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, funny guy. You have a good weeekend too Jim!

3:47 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Update: The coming out did not occur "Not the right time".

3:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, my coming out to my parents kinda happened the same way :).

Wow, you had a football player ask you out? Dang... don't I wish that that would've happened to me! Hehehe...

9:56 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Isnt that funny, HB, most people I know had very much the same coming out espisodes, uneventful.

Oh, but you are the football player that asks people out :)

5:13 AM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Jim
Yes, it worked out really well...my family is great. When I was single, at different times throughout the years, my mom was always on the "lookout" for a guy for me.

7:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home