Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Secret Soccer Geek

I've played soccer before, I liked it. I even like watching the games in person but as a rule I don't care for watching soccer or any sport on TV, too boring.

Last week I found myself being sucked into the World Cup. It started innocently enough, just sitting there in the Pub on campus waiting for my Veggie Wrap, vacantly staring at the big screen, trying to figure just who was playing.

The three kids at the table next to me took breaks from inhaling their chili cheese fries and pepperoni pizzas to scream and yell. The Argentinian kid screaming for Argentina, the Serb kid screaming for Serbia-Montenegro. The Indian kid smiling and pushing the pepperoni pizza to the far end of the table in disgust. The Argentinian was the chatty one.

Dude, who are you for?

From that distance I could only make out Argentina's colors and he was obviously some flavor of latin.

Argentina, of course.



Then some weird, post-teen, male-bonding, hand-bump-shake-slide thing occurred between us. I suppose that indoctrinated me into the secret soccer fan club because later the Argentinian felt comfortable enough to ask me questions.

So, you're old enough to buy beer, right?

You know, I've been at this university for 2 years and I'm really surprised this hasn't come up before now, considering more than half the campus is under 21 and they are surrounded by dry areas.

You just eat your pizza and go back to screaming for Argentina, LOL

Dude, c'mon, I'll be 21 next week and ... I'M A JUNIOR!, he said pulling out his ID as if the week gap and his lofty status as college junior gave him leverage in executing the beer-scoring scheme.

Pizza. Soccer. Focus! LOL

I'll admit it was fun to watch and occasionally I wondered just how those soccer players were able to move the way the did. I would be in the hospital getting my hip replaced if tried some of those moves.

After my wrap and the game were over, the almost 21 year old table reminded me to be at the Pub Monday morning for Italy vs. Australia.

I can't make it but I think I'll be for Italy anyway :)

5 Comments:

Blogger NeiLDC said...

argentina wins of course,riquelme,cambiasso,etc!MARADONA!

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'm hoping Argentina and Brazil make it to the finals. That ought to be a nice friendly game :)

6:44 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Then its soccer for you, Michael, just turn the sound down on the set!

Oooh, I just noticed my team (Italy) won their morning match :)

3:31 PM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

I like soccer...players! (snort)

9:02 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, you snorted, Scott!

6:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home