Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Modern Fort Worth


Before the Savannah jaunt, I spent a weekend in Fort Worth. I love Fort Worth. I would live there in a minute, if only it supported more of my industry.

Fort Worth and Dallas are like sisters; Fort Worth is the intelligent, well-traveled, even-tempered, old money brunette sister who can converse on any topic, loves the arts, fine dining and can feel just as comfortable in formalwear as in jeans-n-boots.

Dallas is the high-maintenance, drama-queen blonde sister with the nice rack and the Platinum AmEx.

It still baffles me that Fort Worth, not Dallas, is the seat of culture for North Texas, this is so far from the pokey cowtown that most people make it out to be. The largest Modern Art Museum in this country is in Fort Worth, seriously. When NYC's MoMa reopens (if it hasnt already), Fort Worth will have the second largest.

Fort Worth's Modern Art Museum, The Modern , is an artistic wonder that Japanese architect, Tadao Ando, gave birth to in 2002. Its such an interesting building, inside and out, that sometimes I spend more time looking at the features of the building than the exhibits.

Photo Collection: The Modern, Fort Worth



I went to The Modern to see 4 exhibits, 3 of which were going away that weekend. Instead of seeing all 4, I spent 4 hours looking at the work of Chuck Close. Mind boggling. He can take an image in his head, divide it into hundreds of little squares, carve each square on a large wooden sheet in reverse image, apply the correct color to the wooden sheet, then apply the wooden sheet to canvas to make what appears to the eye as a photograph. (Actually its a group of 7-8 wooden sheets, each intended for a different color, which is more mind boggling).

It defies conventional thought, Close defies conventional thought. If this collection comes to your city, definitely set aside a few hours for a viewing.




13 Comments:

Blogger NeiLDC said...

this is a wonderful place!

1:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too right about your description between the two cities. I live in Fort Worth and very rarley ever head to Dallas for anything. While there are lots of "family" in the area, we are all scattered around the city and there is nothing to mirror the Oaklawn area in Dallas. There are lots of things to like about Dallas, but (to use an old city phrase) "Foat Wuth, Ah Luv Yew!" prefer the comfort over the

1:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the bad editing at the end of that post!

1:33 PM

 
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I went to grad school at TCU in FW. Even back then FW was the best kept secret in Texas. One of those rare cities where they got it right. I'd move there too.

2:49 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes it is Neil, and the film line up at The Modern is usu. quite good too :)

10:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

CA, I'm with ya, FW has more to offer to a person like me. FW doesnt need an Oaklawn area, they have a downtown that is inhabitable, with actual things to do and see :)

10:06 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

See, I knew I like you Daniel :)

10:06 PM

 
Blogger DEREK said...

your my hunk of the week!

5:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh there he goes dissing my city. ;)

I will say I like FW a lot, for various reasons, but if I had my choice, I guess I'd have to take Dallas.

There's always been this love/hate relationship between FW and Dallas.

6:49 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Why thank you Derek. I'd like to tahnk the academy ....

9:24 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Youre right Mark, they are both offer such different environments, which is good. The people of the metroplex are lucky to have very easy access to both.

I forgive you for liking Dallas better ... LOL :)

9:27 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

What an awesome museum...the entire arts district there is beautiful. Bass Hall too!
I agree, people have the wrong perception of F.T.

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thats right Steve, and dont forget about the Water Gardens and, of course, The Stockyards :)

I think I'll feature The Stockyards next.

7:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home