Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Forever Young





Everyone, say Hi to Joyce, its her birthday. She is 85 today.

Joyce was my neighbor for 6 years before moving to Jacksonville, Florida. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed listening to her stories. She was born in London and raised on a plantation in Jamaica, where she lived for over 40 years. Her family finally relocated her to this country because they didn't feel it was safe for her to be in Jamaica alone.

Joyce never looked even close to her age, never acted it either. I remember when I met her she was gardening in her back yard. She was wearing a haltar top and short shorts. I thought, we should all look that good when we are 80-something.

I asked Joyce what her secret was for seeming so young.

Oh dahling, its easy, never look in a mirror and never admit to yourself that you're over 25.

9 Comments:

Blogger ~r. said...

If I see Joyce, I will say happy birthday!

3:54 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

She'll love you more if you say it with a Rum and Coke :)

7:54 PM

 
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Awww.... I always say my mental age is 25. I definitely act and look a lot younger than my real age of 36. I hope I am as lucky as Joyce is! ;)

10:34 PM

 
Blogger suzy said...

Happy Birthday Joyce. Hope you have many more!

10:58 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'm sure you will be Brett. I see you with a straw hat and flower lei on your 85th! I said LEI :)

11:37 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Im sure she appreciates that Suzy!

11:50 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Doesn't she though?

I think I posted her photo Micheal, let me check. Sometimes that little X happens when bandwidth is limited.

4:55 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Now that's GLAMOUR baby!

11:56 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You know it, John. Like I told my mom, shes has decades before she reaches the Joyce level of glam!

12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home