Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Update

Interviews continue to go well. It looks like either Atlanta, Houston, Austin or Las Vegas, although there have been some developments in the Los Angeles and San Francisco areas as of this evening.

Medical Terminology class is going well, it continues to amaze me how you can have a huge medical vocab with just a few root words, prefixes and suffixes. Now I can read medical journal articles and actually know what they are talking about.

Hebrew class is wonderful. I can now read the following and make all the appropriate sounds come out of my mouth. Just don't ask me what it means, we don't start vocabulary until next week.



What is odd about Hebrew (aside from the different letters and reading right to left) is that the alphabet you learn in class is not not the alphabet used in newspapers and on the internet. Bascially they leave out the vowels in modern publication, which of course means you have to know the words and the context before you can make sense of anything. Nice. Anyway, I can recite that "Barooch atah" blessing thingy now, so let me know if you need me to bless something, lol ;)

Realtor Girl and I have a walk through this week, we discussed a price and did some initial paperwork - the townhouse goes on the market in March.

I managed to spend some time in Austin over the weekend so I'll blab about that later!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting times for sure! Good luck with your near future relocation.

Kudos to you for learning Hebrew.
I may need a blessing here soon, are you listed in the phone directory yet?

You're such a smartie ;)

6:51 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Jason :)

I always try to learn some of the language before I visit another country. If some Israeli asks me out I should probably know how to say 'yes, pick me up at 8' :)

(sending blessing your way, I hope Hebrew works over the internet :)

7:21 AM

 
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Check out the google hebrew...
http://www.google.co.il/

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Very cool, Hebrew Google!

5:49 PM

 
Blogger M said...

Thank you for the CD - WOW - perfect timing for my trip to Dallas!

You are da best! :-)

6:36 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

My pleasure Matt, enjoy it!

7:23 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Oh my...we are going through the same things, with the exception of Hebrew :) I'm brushing up on my French though :) Good luck to you with selling the place.

9:44 AM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Oh my...we are going through the same things, with the exception of Hebrew :) I'm brushing up on my French though :) Good luck to you with selling the place.

9:44 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Steve!

Yes, I am following in your footsteps! :)

10:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to learn Hebrew but actually found it hard to find good teaching materials for learning ALONE at home. I'm pretty good at languages and so find it frustrating being in a class having to go at everyone else's speed.
If you do know a good home tuition course I'd be most grateful if you could tell me the name of it.
You are welcome to drop by mine if you like. I'm at gledwood2.blogspot.com.
My blog is very different to yours though.
See you there! All the best,
Gledwood

4:18 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Gledwood,

I found an internet based course through one of our community colleges. It is self-paced and there is only one book Alef Bet for Adults which we used to learn the Hebrew alphabet. All the other learning material is presented in a YouTube format.

I also have an advantage, many my family and friends are native Hebrew speakers. I think that is key, listening to and interacting with native speakers.

As for a home based "system" I would pick Rosetta Stone, Hebrew Level 1, their website is www.rosettastone.com.

Good luck!

12:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home