Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

East Wind


East Wind Posted by Hello

2800 Routh St.
Dallas, TX 75201
Phone: 214-745-5554


Vietnamese food is wonderful, particularly good in the summer since most of the fare is herb and vegetable heavy, making for lighter meals and more energy for later.

In my neighborhood we are Vietnamese deficient since the sad demise of Edamame. Yes, I am aware of Green Papaya's existence, I just don't like them. Most of the Vietnamese that I have tried are clustered on Greenville Ave in Richardson, very authentic family geared restaurants with incredible offerings however not terribly convenient to the house.

But there's East Wind, yay. I dont know why I never think of this place, maybe because its in the Quadrangle and I never go down that way. When friends Laurel and Connie suggested it for lunch, I was there.

I've been to East Wind several times, mostly when they took up roost in Deep Ellum but a couple of times for dinner in the Quadrangle location. Lunch offers a thankfully smaller menu (dinner menu is huge!) and much smaller prices ($8-11). I located my favorite, the #10, bowl of vermicelli, herbs, veggies and grilled lemongrass chicken. The #10 comes in layers; the bottom is a blend of chopped lettuce, cilantro and possibly basil, next layer is vermicelli, then the grilled veggies, and on top, the sliced chicken. There is an accompanying sauce that is made from fish sauce, vinegar, and hot pepper. Pour the sauce over the whole thing and go!

Post lunch feeling: you're full but can still get on with your day, no fear of an involuntary carb-overload nap looming in the afternoon.

At lunch there is the bonus of an egg roll and soup or salad. The salad is very good; chopped lettuce, veggies and shredded grilled chicken in a lightly sweet peanuty dressing.

If you arent in the mood for Vietnamese there is also a sushi bar. I've tried a few of the basics like Yellowtail, Tuna and Scallop, all stack up to other high-end sushi in Dallas.

East Wind makes a good date place, its quiet, elegant and solid. White linen table clothes, big cushy dining room chairs, heavy silverware, flowers, rich and dark tones, noise absorbing carpet. Service is polite and efficient. Parking is easy near the Sigels end of the complex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home