Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Andrea Auditions For American Idol!

I've known my friend Leslie, who lives in Austin, for over 20 years. We met in college and became roomates for several years post graduation as we were both getting on our feet. Leslie is a multi-talented person: she can sing, dance, act, cook and ... she makes the most beautiful glass art you've ever seen! If you have been to my house you have probably seen the stained glass piece that hangs in the sunniest window. Leslie made this piece as an 'experiment' in a class, I thought she had spent a million dollars on it. She laughed, ever the artist discrediting her own brilliance.

Talented people attract other talented people, it must be some other physical force that you dont learn in school. Leslie's friends are highly creative and very talented. At a cast party following one of Leslie's plays, the group decided to karaoke to further display their vocal talents. When it came to Leslie's friend Andrea, she thumbed through the selections, ignored them all and decided to sing without background assistance.

'I think I'll sing something from my favorite performer of all time, Etta James', she said.


Etta James? I liked Andrea immediately, if only for her obvious good taste. Backflashing, when I heard that Etta James was performing at some small venue in Albuquerque, without hestitation I booked a flight, hotel and car and went to New Mexico to see her. You could say I like Etta James, just a little. She was incredible, even though she was having some problems with her knees and sat in a chair the entire concert, she needed no fancy choreography to dazzle a mostly 20-something crowd into gasping and cheering uncontrollably at her genius.

Andrea didnt announce that she was going to sing my favorite Etta James song, she just started singing 'At Last'. It was almost as if Etta James herself was now occupying her 24 year old body, commanding her voice to reach out and stun everyone into opened-mouthed awe. Seriously, her voice is just amazing. Eyes closed, mic in hand she belted out 'At Last' with moments of soft, romantic longing and contrasting hot, growly passion. Had Ms. James been present in the room, she would have retired on the spot.

Since then I have been threatening Andrea with introduction to my uncle's brother who directs on Broadway. I just knew she was destined for singing on stage.

She's starting the path.

On Monday she sent me an email telling me that she is audtioning for American Idol. Its about time! Sheesh, she has been keeping that velvety weapon of a voice a secret for way too long. She's in the process. She and a friend both went Frank Erwin Center in Austin to register. They have their wristband and tickets. Andrea will audition tomorrow. Lucky are the people that get to witness her singing 'At Last' during the audition. I wish I could be there to capture the wide eyed amazement of those who have not yet experienced it for the first time.

Evil Simon will have his heart and ego melted out. Even Whatevia will uncross her stoic, bitchy arms and be impressed.

Go ANDREA!


Pic: Andrea' Smith

2 Comments:

Blogger purpletwinkie said...

How exciting! We know someone who made it to the 11th spot last season (Mikalah Gordon). Her father works with my ex. I can remember watching her at a tv commercial shoot several years ago at one of the Las Vegas resorts. They used her as an extra and she was wonderful. She wasn't my favorite performer on last season's American Idol, but I got wrapped up in the show just to see how far she would make it.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Definitely I will keep you all informed. I'm betting that she makes it on the show. I will watch it for the duration of her appearances, until she wins :)

3:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home