Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Anti-Depressant



Chocolate Secrets

3926 Oak Lawn @ Avondale
Dallas, Texas 75219
214-252-9801

For the last 20 years there has been a Persian Rug Shop at the corner of Oak Lawn and Avondale. There has been a going out of business sale sign on the shop for at least 13 of those years. It became the standing joke - look, they are still going out of business, just how long does that take? Well, self-fulfilling prophecy, they are now officially out of business. Don't worry, you can just substitute your Persian rug addiction for your chocolate addicition, since now this large space houses Chocolate Secrets, the de facto church of Our Lady Of The Holy Cocoa Bean. Let us pray.

I'm not big on sweets but my friend Galina has a marked love of dark chocolate. I tried a Pistachio truffle, which I have to admit, was wonderful; pistachio paste and milk chocolate, hand-dipped in the best dark chocolate I've ever tasted. As I looked up from my truffle I saw Galina making herself a little box of truffles to take back to work. Little is a relative word in this case.


Galina & Noeha @ Chocolate Secrets


Jim: Wow, so you really like chocolate.

She smiled, looked me dead in the eye and uttered one single heartfelt word in her cute, mysterious Russian accent.

Galina: Anti-depressants.

There you have it, and less expensive too.

15 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

ohhh, I wonder if they do mail order!

12:36 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

heaven, pure heaven...

8:27 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'm with you Sangroncito, however Prozac doesn't come in such yummy flavors :)

9:24 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'll check Suzy ... I think they have a truffle of the month club :)

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes Ryan, yes. I could see why people develop a love of chocolate.

9:25 AM

 
Blogger M said...

JIM,

How have you been - i have not been online in forever - how is life in the medical world going - :-)

9:52 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Matt!

You live, yay! :) Medical world is going great, all done in December, woo!

10:01 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, Jim, its on the way to your gym, isnt it? (evilest grin)

10:21 PM

 
Blogger The Persian said...

Nothing wrong with Chocolate in moderation, I have at least a little something every day (I work for a Candy distributor with tons of "samples" available at the desk for free), and am as thin as a rail, Galina is right, it does wonders to give instant pleasure and make you forget your woes.

Now it's effect on your teeth is another issue.

2:33 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Agree Persian Jim ... nothing wrong with it at all, in moderation. Lets see, you and Galina are both thin and you both eat chocolate. Coincidence? Hmmm.

9:30 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Jimbo. Jimbo. Jimbo ... you know that bitchslap will never happen because you would have to put that Tiramisu truffle down first. And we know thats never going to happen ... LOL

9:32 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I moved away from OakLawn to Phoenix about 1.5 years ago...I remember that sign up there for years too. I'm sorry I missed the chocolate - I'll have to stop by next time I'm in town. Thanks for the post.

2:04 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Surely Steve, definitely drop by that place the next time you're in town! (Bring Jim with you :)

12:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm chocolate... can i have some??

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Of course you can HB!

9:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home