Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, May 29, 2006

فلافل or طعمية or פלאפל


Its falafel, no matter what language you choose. I've never been able to determine the origin of this spicy Garbanzo bean 'burger'; some say its Indian, some Jewish, others just claim its vaguely Middle Eastern. In any case, I have developed my own falafel, its origin is Texan.

JLO's Texas Falafel


1 15 oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained
1 Small Onion, chopped
1/2 C Parsley, chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Egg White
2 t Cumin
2 t Coriander
1/2 t Chipolte (or cayenne)
1/2 Jalapeño, chopped
1 t Salt
1 t Smoked Paprika
1 t Lemon Juice
1 t Baking Powder
1 T Olive Oil
1/2-3/4 C Plain Bread Crumbs
Oil for frying.



1 In a food processor pulse the garbanzo until they are a thick paste. Remove to a large bowl.

2 Add onions, parsley and garlic to food processor and blend until smooth. Stir into garbanzos.

3 Add all other ingredients to the garbanzo mixture, using only the amount of bread crumbs necessary to make a mixture that will hold together.

4 Form 8 balls with the mixture, flatten them into patties.

5 Over medium-high heat, add enough oil to fry the patties. Fry until browned on both sides.

Bon Appetite, y'all.

9 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

Yummy! I think Lon and I will have those for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe!

11:46 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

I am feeling a litle creative and inquizitive, I think I might try that recipe out...
Thanks

11:52 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I can't wait to see Lon's approach to the Falafel. Enjoy!

5:25 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Enjoy JC!

5:25 AM

 
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Oh cool! Middle eastern tex-mex. I think the chipotle is a way cool idea. I will definitely try this.
thx
--

12:35 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Smoky tumminess, Daniel, enjoy!

10:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to use such an antiquated cliche, but - where's the beef?

12:02 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Gregor, you feel free to add beef to your falafel :)

10:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's middle eastern, a cheap and national dish of egypt, syria, lebanon, palestain, later the rest of the middle east and finaly in israel. lol, it's not jewish or indian!

8:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home