Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Killer Peppers



So there's the title of the article I read last night, it was published in March of this year. In case you aren't a secret science geek, allow me to summarize. Capsaicin, the component of red chili peppers that makes them hot, has been shown to kill prostate cancer cells.

Pretty cool, huh?

This isn't coming from some vitamin pimp or some late-night infomercial whackjob trying to sell a miracle cure. No, it's coming from the American Association for Cancer Research. You know, serious people with PHD's, performing scientific experiments and wearing those very stylish white lab coats.

I knew my Tobasco addiction was good for something.

Article Abstract


7 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Wow, being from South Louisiana, Cajun, and growing up next to Avery Island, where Tabasco is produced, I always have a bottle or two in my kitchen cabinet! Good for me and my prostate!

7:55 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Exactly, now you have medical permission to indulge! :)

9:34 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

That is very interesting. I wonder what other cancer cells it could possibly kill? You're so smart Jim. I'm impressed.

11:32 AM

 
Blogger Adam said...

Awesome. I roast peppers almost every week. I guess, though, that denatures the capsasin...okay I'll be eating them raw.

1:24 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Dont be impressed with me, I just undestand the science, Ryan. It does make you wonder what else chili peppers can cure, doesnt it?

4:19 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Not sure what level of heat denatures the protein, Adam, but fresh would definitely be a safer bet!

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

A big plate of fresh Thai bird chilis coming right up for Michael.

Oh, might wanna give your colon a heads up :)

10:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home