Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Biscuits, Gravy & Chihuly

I've known Tina for almost 30 years, she lived next door to us during the California era, she is one of my other moms. She relocated with her job to Oklahoma about 7 years ago. She just had a milestone birthday so I decided to trip up to Oklahoma and help her celebrate.


Tina, Oklahoma City Museum Of Art


Tina works in downtown Oklahoma City, but she arrives before sunrise and leaves after sunset so she was unaware of the OKC Museum of Art's proximity to her building, two blocks south. I decided I should take her to their Museum Cafe for brunch, the menu sounded good plus it was a good way for me to introduce her to the city she has lived in for 7 years.

I've been to OKC many times and eating out there can be problematic for me; what isn't meat-based is chicken-fried and smothered in cream gravy. I found a place during my last trip that offered a veggie platter but I noticed that Mac & Cheese and sausage stuffing are both considered vegetables in OKC. Even when I ordered the veggie platter, the waitress asked me if I wanted a side of biscuits with gravy, she didnt understand how that could be my whole dinner.

Fortunately times have changed. The Museum Cafe is first-rate, French inspired fare with Southern twists and execution. The inside is casual chic; light wood tones, white linen and floor to ceiling windows in panorama. I highly recommend it if you find yourself in OKC.


Museum Cafe

415 Couch Drive | Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | (405) 235-6262

After brunch we wandered through the museum. To our surprise they had a huge Chihuly glass exhibit. I've seen alot of examples of his work but never so many in one space. Simply beautiful pieces with awesome display and lighting. Why can't Dallas get something like this at their museum? This was my favorite.



Chihuly Exhibit, Oklahoma City Museum Of Art

The hallway is topped with thick plexiglass, on top of which sits the Chihuly pieces, spots from the ceiling cause all the shadows against the walls and floor. Incredible.

Also very interesting were the permanent Chihuly pieces commissioned by the museum. Someone has some serious connections and some very deep pockets. This piece anchors the front entrance, it is 3 stories tall, about 55 feet.



Chihuly Entrance, Oklahoma City Museum Of Art


You can see the rest of the photos of Chihuly and OKC at Oklahoma City: 7/2006






17 Comments:

Blogger NeiLDC said...

JIm, Omy what a good day experience that you had with Tina. I hope if id be in States can you tour me around as well..Thanks!
Yippey, ill feature on my blog the Museo de Reina Sofia with Picasso ok!

5:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Neil, yes it was! I'll look for the Museo de Reina.

8:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Jim (Jamie), I have a milestone birthday in Oct. How about visiting me in Northern VA.?
Would love to see you here. I am still thinking of retirement mid-Oct.
Phyllis

9:01 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Phyllis! Wow, so you are turning 39 too? :)

I might just have an interview out DC way that time of year!

4:06 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Chihuly...OMG - I love his work. What great pictures.

11:15 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Me too Steve! I took those Chihuly pictures I put on Yahoo and made them my screen saver.

11:21 PM

 
Blogger John said...

"Chihuly" Hummm...sounds like a H.P. Lovecraft novel to me.
Any who's, I love's me some biscuts an' gravy!
Really...No kidin'....

11:46 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Oh yeah,
Tina Looks WAY COOL! Nice outfit babe!

11:48 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Jim
I really liked #23

8:01 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

John, Although Tina doesn't read the blog, I'm sure she appreciates the compliment. Didn't Bunny Lynn have some Chihuly earrings made? (plastic glitter replicas, a'course!)

8:11 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Definitely Steve, the installment on the 'ceiling' was incredible to see!

8:22 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

I've never heard of this glass artist. Sound interesting. I didn't know a red state was capeable of anything cultural or "how do I say...." non-religous?

4:17 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'm going to pretend like the very urban NY'er didnt say that he hasnt heard of Chihuly :)

Actually Oklahoma seems to be revamping its image. I may do a Tulsa weekend sometime soon.

10:51 PM

 
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Wow! what an experience. Macs andcheese with sausage stuffing on a veggie platter?!?
Oh, and the glass stuff is cool, too. (HA HA)Chihuly is truly an original creative vision.

8:49 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes Daniel, they may not have the vegetable concept clearly deined but they know their fancy glass stuff :)

7:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea how you find time to do all this and still keep if with blogging! Even being bed ridden I could not keep my blog up to date. Our Fine Arts Center now lovingly known as FAC has been going thru expansion. We also have "FAC modern" downtown as a substitute for exhibits while the main museum gets updated. We have over 2 million in permanent Chihuly exhibits. Not bad for a backwater town like Colorado Springs.
As always I just love reading your blog!

10:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

George, glad you are back! I only sleep about 4 hours a night so its easy to fit it all in :) Oh, thats cool about CS new art museum, wish that would have been there when I was in town!

10:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home