Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Legends

Dearest Jim,

We have been patient with you. We have forgiven you for not owning even one Madonna or Cher CD. We have been understanding about your school schedule and therefore have not complained about you only going to a gay bar twice this year. We still don't understand why you hate shopping, not to mention the fact that you do not discuss every irrelevant detail your sex life. But so be it, we are a kind and understanding organization. But, that you have never seen an old-school Elizabeth Taylor film, well, thats the limit. This outrageous fact has caused us to place your membership on immediate probation. Please see to it that this urgent issue is resolved.

Sincerely, The Gay Card Administration Staff


My apologies to Elizabeth Taylor and to the bitches who form the GCAS. Its true though. Nor have I ever seen a movie with Rock Hudson or James Dean. So, last night I decided to mix up a pitcher of martinis and get them all done by watching the film, Giant.


Giant is a great film, but like all films that are 50+ years old, there is a little bit of cheese factor. Its expected considering the limitations of 50's technology. Still, it made me laugh out loud to see the "aging" Elizabeth Taylor, she just looked like a 25 year old with gray spray paint in her hair and black eye shadow under her eyes, lol.

Other than that its was very enjoyable to watch this epic (3 1/2 hours, sheesh) film about the DC girl who meets and marries the west Texas rancher, moves to Texas and tries to fit in. The redneck ranch hand makes three and a subtle triangle emerges with all kinds of 1950's drama and a heavy focus on the prejudice against Mexicans that was prevalent in that location during that time.

Although Giant is not a 10/10, I really consider this a must see, its just so much history rolled into one. Particularly so if you are from Texas.



Elizabeth Taylor - Wow, now that I've seen her in her glory days I have to say she was stunning. My grandmother used to say that Elizabeth Taylor was the last great actress. I can see now why she would think that, she was the force holding this film together. And what a force she was. Now I'm going to have to see her in that Virginia Wolfe thing.



Rock Hudson - Holy crap, exactly how tall was he anyway? He towers over everyone in this film, even seated; he was just one freaking huge man in size 13 boots. Sad that he had to hide the fact that he was gay and that he died relatively young (60).



James Dean - He might have been a short one (5'8", like me) but his presence overshadows everyone on the screen, even the considerably taller Hudson. I've always been curious about Dean's strangle-hold on American pop culture 50 years after his death; even today his name is mentioned in music (Madonna) and of course, he is still being held up as the ultimate in rebellious cool.

Dean was the first actor to be nominated for an award after death. And actually he was nominated for 2 awards; Rebel Without A Cause and Giant. He never actually got to see himself in either.

Dean, in an interview after making Giant, was asked to share his philosophy of life. The quote is almost haunting.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Shortly thereafter he was killed in a car wreck. He was 24.

9.0/10

12 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

NEXT, you've got to watch my favorite:

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF!

LOVE IT.

7:53 PM

 
Blogger suzy said...

Definatly Cat on a Hot Tin Roof! Love that one too. Giant is one of my favorites. Elizabeth Taylor made some great movies.

10:10 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Giant is a great flick, as well as the few James Dean films we have from him. It is still amazing to think of the impact he made with so few films and leaving us at age 24. I would be interested in how much $$ is still being earned with all of his product memorabilia being sold.

Hope you had a great holiday, and studies are coming along :)

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'll see it Steve!

9:22 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You too, Suzy, you knew about ET and said nothing to me? Were you secretly watching her movies all the time we lived next door to each other? :)

9:28 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I wondered that too, Jason. And who is actually taking the proceeds?

T-Day was great and studies are almost over!

9:39 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

you don't own a Modonna or Cher CD?

They're going to kick you out and won't let me be your friend.

You better get going - I'm afraid you're not gay enough.

12:27 PM

 
Blogger NeiLDC said...

Jim, Thanks for posting Rock Hudson and james Dean. They are my icons forever..

the rebel without a cause was a nice film and try to watch the" life story of rock hudson"

Besos Amigo!!

1:43 PM

 
Blogger The Persian said...

I don't own any Cher, but my ex turned me into a Madonna fan with the 1998 release of Ray of Light.

I haven't seen that film, but maybe I will try. I love older films, and Elizabeth Taylor was breathtaking for sure in her younger years.

Sad about Rock, but he hardly had a choice given that it would have killed his career.

:)

2:43 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Now now Ryan, I think Madonna is the US' greatest performer. Surely that counts for something :) Id pay $500 to see her live but wouldnt pay $10 for a CD.

7:43 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Neil, I'll look for those films too!

7:53 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Probably so Jim, given the 50's wasnt exactly a liberating time for gay men.

I think I'm going to have to investigate more of ET's early days, she was incredible!

8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home