Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Oscar

Its coming up this Sunday night.
Last year I got 50% correct, lets see how I do this year.

Actor, Leading: Ryan Gosling
Forest Whitaker was my first choice until I saw Half Nelson. DiCaprio in Departed would have been my choice if he was nominated for that one.

Actor, Supporting: Alan Arkin
I doubt he will win but he did a great job in Little Miss Sunshine

Actress, Leading: Helen Mirin
This seems a no brainer, even though I loved Dench in Notes On A Scandal.

Actress, Supporting: Jennifer Hudson
I'd like to see Rinko Kikuchi win for Babel but we know Hudson has more buzz.

Art Direction: Pan's Labyrinth
Amazing!

Cinematography: The Illuionist
I couldnt decide so I picked the one I remembered the best.

Costume Design: Curse Of The Golden Flower
Just a tad better than Marie Antoinette

Directing: Departed
People will burn down the host site if this doesnt happen.

Film Editing: Departed
Babel a close second

Foreign Language Film: Water
Because its the only one I wrote about, it will win, lol.

Original Song: One from Dreamgirls; I liked Patience.

Best Picture: The Queen
Really tough choice but I think it had the best overall quality.

Screenplay, Adapted: Borat
Let the criticism fly, lol.

Screenplay, Original:: Little Miss Sunshine
I stand by my choice, lol.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

The Queen may be the best overall film, but it's not "sexy" enough. The English like a little more restraint than we do.
Pan's labyrinth will get best art,
and I think everyone believes it's Scorcese's turn. Departed is good, but it's far from being his best work, like Taxi or Raging Bull.
Mirren or Dench, but probably Mirren for Actress,
Alan Arkin is flat out brilliant. Did you see him in America's Sweethearts? He should get an oscar just on general principle.
Ok, I'm done now.
Have fun this weekend.

11:21 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Agreed Daniel, particularly re: Departed not being Scorcese's best, he'll be picking it up for the Oscars he should have received for Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.

7:14 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

(oh, no I havent seen Arkin in that one ... yet!)

7:15 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Sorted, we'll see tomorrow!

6:27 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I hope Little Miss Sunshine wins something. I'll be looking for you on the red carpet!

12:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Arkin does deserve it. I'm so out of the loop on the nominations this year. I plan to watch though.

It would be a great upset to have Penelope win for Volver. The movie and director should have been up for an award this year.

I heard that the new German film, "The Lives of Others" is really good. It's up for best foreign film. Need to catch that one, the previews looked engrossing.

4:56 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I hope it does too Steve, it was one of my favorites!

7:12 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I secretly wish for an upset too Jason :) Oh yeah, I didnt see that German one yet but you're right, it looks good!

7:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home