Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, March 26, 2007

A Use For Carrots

I've been working on this one for a couple of days. I had a big bag of leftover carrots so I decided to try to make something out of them. Ironically I had to get even more carrots and now I still have leftover carrots.

This is my favorite soup so far this year, even better than the sweet potato one from a few months back. I think this one will be nice for DC Mom's reception. (Suzy, you will have to let me know what you think. )


Carrot-Cumin Soup with Avocado-Lime Cream and Chipotle Oil


Soup

  • 1 2-lb bag Carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 1 Russet Potato, chopped
  • 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
  • 32 ounce Vegetable (or Chicken) stock
  • 3 t Coriander
  • 2 t Cumin
  • 1 t Salt
  • 1 t Black Pepper

Avocado-Lime Cream

  • 1 large Avocado (or 2 medium)
  • 2 T Lime juice
  • 3-4 T Whole Milk
  • Salt
  • Black Pepper

Chipotle Oil

  • 3 T Olive Oil
  • 1/4 t Chipotle

Garnish

  • Cilantro, chopped



1) For Soup: Put all the soup ingredients in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Take a hand liquidiser to the soup or alternatively put the soup through a blender in batches. Return to stockpot and keep hot.

2) For Avocado-Lime Cream: Mash avocado, lime and milk with a fork then wisk until desired consistency. Season with salt/pepper. Keep cool.

3) For Chipotle Oil: Wisk oil and chipotle together and let sit for 30 minutes.

4) Assembly: Ladel soup into bowls. Top with a couple T of avocado-lime cream, drizzle with chipotle oil and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.


Servings: 4

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sorted Lives said...

Well, aren't you just the Marcus Stewart of the blog world. Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

I think I am going to print out some of these receipes and try them on someone. Thanks!

8:03 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

Okay...I would have given the extra carrots to the horses that I see on my hikes in the desert :)

9:46 PM

 
Blogger John said...

Momma Boofay used to make a real good Dutch carrot soup. She didn't make it too often on account of her bein' so lazy an' all. No Darlin', I ain't got the recipie..

Huggs, etc...

10:27 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, enjoy Sorted.

(What can I say, I was raised by a gourmet chef :))

8:32 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ah Steve, that would be useful if I lived in the desert rather than this shopping mall with 7 million cosmetically altered zomboids, lol.

(Leave me alone I havent had my coffee yet :))

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Bunn Bunn, your mom should have done what my mom did, get her kids to make it. You know, 4 years old is not too young to operate a cuisinart and cast iron skillet :)

8:52 AM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

This sounds really good. I love anything carrot.

1:11 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Lemme know if you try it Scott (and being the master chefer, definitely let me know if you enhance it!)

11:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home