Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Girl Got Skills

Everyone loves a pretty girl who kills people for a living, right?

New York Guy and I watched this one last night and we both liked.



Nikita is a homeless social misfit who wanders the streets doing drugs and robbing people. In the course of a robbery she kills someone, a cop. French police catch her and give her the "choice" of becoming their clandestine agent of death or going to prison. She chooses the former. It was quite a physical transformation for the lead from scrappy street urchin to polished-up assassin.

What I liked about this one was the raw, impulsive, wild animal characteristics Anne Parillaud brought to her role. Then, after she meets a man she truly loves, you begin to see her look at herself in a new way, an irreconcilable way - part passionate lover, part detached killer. She knows one part of her must go, but which one will it be?

Definitely watch it in French with English subs. I tried the English audio track but it sucked.

8.0/10


I know they made a series out of this film. Have you seen it and do you have an opinion?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Been a while since I've seen this, but I love it.

5:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great film, she kicks some serious booty! The American remake of sorts (Point of No Return) with Brigette Fonda was pretty good too.

9:48 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Scoot, I liked it too, I might have to chekc out the series.

10:58 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

(LOL, I meant Scott)

Jason - I'll have to check out the American version too!

10:59 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Much better than that Bridgete Fonda shot for shot remake Point of No Return. There was no point in remaking it as an AMERICAN film unless you like the soul taken out of your entertainment.

3:33 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ah, Gavin, usually I like the soul left in my entertainment, unless I'm drinking, then it doesnt really matter :)

5:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home