Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

2 True


Breach


Story of an FBI agent who sold secrets uninterrupted for a period of over two decades. Noone knows how many lives were lost as a result of his disclosures. Noone will say how much that information compromised our national security.

I liked the film but it was not what I was expecting. It is much more subtle than anticipated, so if you are expecting Bond theatrics or MI action, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Ryan Phillipe is good eye candy and not a bad actor but the person who anchors this film is Chris Cooper. He does great character work and this time was no exception: paranoia magnified, isolation intensified and teetering implosion from the weight of his own guilt.

True story #1

8.5/10



Midnight Express


Story of an American college student visiting Istanbul who decided to strap a couple of kilos of hash to his chest and board a plane back to the states. It might have been easier to get away with that kind of thing in 70's but still. Naturally he gets caught and thrown into a Turkish prison.

Just in case you have Turkish prison fantasies, I should warn you that you won't after this one. Un be lievable accounts of how he was treated inside the system of corruption known as law enforcement in 1970s, anti-Nixon Turkey, how crafty he was at planning the logistics of escape and how cruel life could become when those attempts were uncovered by prison officials.

What is most amazing is how he eventually worked his way into Greece and then back to the US.

Brad Davis, who plays the lead, aside from being quite the scorching 70's stud, won several awards for this performance. Sadly he would eventually die of AIDS in 1991, 13 years later. Its a shame (another), he was really a good actor in this one, particularly the bathroom scene where he goes ballistic on a two-faced cellmate. Makes me wonder what he would have done later in his career.

(If you are a product of the 70's you will recognize the Gorgio Moroder theme music straightaway)

True Story #2

8.5/10

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Qitmir said...

As in most movies, based on a true story means it's entirely fiction.

This interview reveals the truth behind the story of the movie "Midnight Express". Billy Hayes is interviewed by Alinur Velidedeoğlu in 1999 Cannes film festival
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqPMI6BnINI

4:20 PM

 
Blogger Qitmir said...

in it, Billy hayes says he would prefer a Turkish prison over an American one

4:21 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks, Qitmir, I'll check out the Youtube for yet another version of the truth.

True in the context of film usually means "true" for the agenda of selling tickets.

(Wait, that also applies to politics too :)

8:30 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

I remember seeing Midnight Express years ago, it still sticks in my memory...and with my memory - that's saying something. Maybe it's time for a trip to Hastings rental aisles to renew a memory. I remember something about the friend he made that did the yoga/tai chi/somekinda exercises in the morning and I was facinated by that.

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

JC, I think that was one of the other Americans in prison with him that did the thai chi. I wonder if that was popular in the 70's.

7:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello first time checking out your blog.
I must resee Midnight Xpress.I saw it in the theaters when it came out,and I remember feeling a bit clandestine heading into the theater. It was rather empty. I was enthralled by the film I was seeing.Running to video store soon!
P.S.
You changing your blog name should you move to a different stae?

5:37 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Jvan,

I bet it was exciting to see it in theatres ... in the 70's. I'm fascinated by 70's movies, it was a really good decade for film.

Yeah, when I get to a new state I will rebrand but the address will be the same.

6:28 PM

 
Blogger JC said...

I think you need to start a poll for new blog names....
like:
Texas Pit in a Georgia Peach
Texas Peanut in an Atlanta Goober

seem to have theme going there...
I know the right one will just come along when it's time...

9:03 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, JC, I'll put you in charge of a new blog name :)

11:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I didn't know about Brad Davis passing. That was a really good but difficult film to watch. It's been a while, I'll have to revisit it.

9:43 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Youre one up on me Jason, I didnt even know Davis existed until I saw this movie.

11:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home