Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Use For Proscuitto

DC mom is getting married in the Fall. Her daughter, Suzy and I have been tossing around food ideas for the reception. This one I have been playing with for a couple of weeks and I think its ready for production. Basically its a Caesar Salad you can eat with your hands.



Caesar Spring Rolls


Dressing
1/4 C Light Mayo
2 T Romano, grated finely
1 t Anchovy, minced
1 T Lemon (or kumquat) juice

Croutons
1/2 C Sourdough bread, cubed
1 T Butter
1 T Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic, minced

Roll
8-10 Rice paper wrappers (8.5" diam)
16-20 slices Proscuitto (very thinly sliced)
4-6 leaves Romaine; lenghtwise cut into 1/4" strips
1-2 C Arugula



1 Croutons - Heat butter and oil over med. high heat. Sautee garlic for 30 seconds then add bread cubes. and sautee until golden. Turn out on paper town and season with salt and pepper.

2 Dressing - Whisk mayo, romano, anchovy and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Store in fridge.

3 Rolls - Soak each wrapper in luke-warm water until soft, less than a minute. Lay on piece of wax paper and blot dry with paper towel. Top each with 2 slices of proscuitto, covering entire wrap. Add a mound of romaine and arugula in a lengthwise column close to one end of the wrapper. Tight roll the wrapper then wrap the roll in saran wrap and stick in fridge.

4 When you're ready, trim the ends off all rolls then cut each into 4 pieces. Stand pieces on end then top each with a dollop of dressing, pressing a crouton or two into the dressing. 8 pieces should do for a serving. Grate romano over the top, add a little fresh pepper. Serve with extra sauce, if there is any.


Servings: 4

(Yes, I know its a crap picture but imagine it as if I had not rushed through the assembly and if I had taken a decent picture.)

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

How about 4 bags of cheetos and a couple of cans of Vienna Sausage cut up with little toothpicks?

what?

12:01 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Oooo, ooo and fried twinkies in strawberry sauce for dessert, lol.

(I think Vienna Sausages qualify as bioterrorism. )

12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I really like the wraps. Very cool. Thanks for all your help "Jim". I cannot wait to see you.
Your ever-loving DC Mom
ps, Thanks for keeping bioterrorism out of the menue

4:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said kumquat! lol. I know, I'm juvenile.

Sounds like a tasty recipe. I need to start printing out your recipes and file them into my recipe box. I'm always looking for great ideas for entertaining.

10:49 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Cant wait to see you to DC MOM!

(No worries, we will not be advocating anything on a toothpick :) )

6:59 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

And now *you* said kumquat, lol.

(Jason, I can email you the HTML versions if you want to save them.)

7:00 AM

 
Blogger suzy said...

I put all the ingredients on the grocery list. These are definate. Yummy! Thanks!

11:01 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Suzy, its a good way to serve a salad without having to use utensils!

Let me know what you think.

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I have to say this sounds really yummy. I'm going to try this next week. My sister is coming back into town for a couple of weeks. I've been lacking motivation to prepare food but this just put a fire under my butt.

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Let me know how it turns out for you Gavin!

8:02 PM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Did someone say FRIED TWINKIES?!

Blasphemy!

12:47 AM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Um? Just who is going to juice kumquats?

12:49 AM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:21 AM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Here is a little tip about the anchovies. Soak them in icewater for 30 minutes then set them on paper towels to drain off all the excess oil and water. If you do this you can get rid of the truly fishy taste that resides in the oil.

4:23 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Scott, I said it! But don't forget the Strawberry sauce for the fried twinkies, which you should purchase in a jar from Stuckeys :)

I juiced my kumquats (snicker) in lemon press.

7:35 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Gavin, that is a good idea about the anchovies. I will try it next time!

7:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home