Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Once again, with feeling

Sister visit was a success, she totally enjoyed the downtown experience. We managed to sneak in visits to the Nasher Sculpture center, Dallas Museum of Art and the Crow Museum. Lucky for us they had blocked off the street in front of the Nasher for an Indian street fair. Great food, dancing and people inbetween art museums.

All weekend we developed this eating pattern: have a cocktail and an appetizer somwhere, walk and sight see for 2-3 hours, then stop again. Even today I find myself wanting a martini and calamari with roasted tomato dipping sauce about every 2-3 hours :)

In more trivial news, I have been on the warpath once again to get into the medical research arena. This time around there have been many more interviews - about 20 total with the mother of all cancer research centers coming up this week. I would expect by the end of May I will know where I'm going. If this all sounds familiar then you have been keeping up with me since my ill-fated experience with CDC in 2006-7.

So there are no surprises here is what my intuition is saying about destination probabilities: 10% Dallas, 10% Atlanta, 10% Los Angeles and 70% Houston.

Houston - G-d save me from humidity :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger ryan charisma said...

Come to NYC, it's far, far better than Houston. And I used to live in Houston.

2:06 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Agreed Ryan, unfortunately the job isn't in NYC.

4:50 PM

 
Blogger suzy said...

The schedule sounds wonderful! I hope your job search turns out much better than expected. I am glad you had a good time with your sister. Sisters are good.

10:54 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Suzy! Yes, sisters are good! :)

6:37 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

screw the humidity, it's damn the mosquitoes! Getcha a little leather saddle and cowboy up!

I forget about how bad they are living in Austin and only going a little S.E. to College Station.
..but when we go and visit folks in Corpus or S. of Houston, I think, "Oh yeah, that's why I wasn't so broken up about moving away from home"
Houston -ick ...but you are still in TEXAS!
...better cost of living than CA, yet that area is nice to visit, I will give ya' that.

Atlanta gets pretty humid, too ...doesn't it.

7:01 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes, JC, the humidity in Houston is bad. And its all year round too! But, it does have the best culture in the region. Plus its about the same size as Chicago now so that has some benefits in terms of services and people.

Who knows, next week will be an exiciting week for me!

3:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home