Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Grease

After plumping up to 165 I went back on my F.IT diet. Its a pretty easy diet I find, just 6 days of a certain calorie limit then 1 day where I say F. IT and eat anything. I'm 11 pounds down but will continue for another two weeks as a preemptive strike against Houston Restaurant Week starting Aug 11th.

On my F. IT day, which was today. I decided to try a Houston legend - Frenchy's. If you are not knowing, they are Creole restaurant offering many items but if you ask anyone living in Houston after 1969 where the best fried chicken lives, they will all answer with Frenchy's.

Having spent a hunk of my youth in the Deep South I have consumed many a fried chicken part. Frenchy's is definitely a cut above the others. I loved the crispy heat thanks to the Creole-inspired recipe. And the Collard Greens were toothsome, spicy and savory with small bits of very non-kosherness.

Next week when I have my F.IT day I might have to go back. Its terribly convenient that I live close to the original location on the other side of 288. It might be a scary neighborhood but this kind of fried chicken tends to dampen down any residual fear.

.

Frenchy's
3919 Scott Street
Houston, TX 77004

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger john said...

Yummy...I love a good piece of fried chicken.

10:49 AM

 
Blogger suzy said...

It does sound tasty. I miss good southern food.

12:33 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Me too John. I dont remember having fried chicken since I lived in Alabama ( a few years back :) )

6:10 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Suzy, when you come to visit, we will check out Frenchys!

6:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home