Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Oishii

I can stay in Houston now that I have found a great sushi joint.



As the spirals of leftovers from Hurricane Dolly started to subside I ventured out to try a recommended sushi venue, Oishii. I liked. Its not a pretty place nestled in its dingy digs on Richmond Ave. near Greenway Plaza. It is definitely not a place to see and be seen, which is exactly why it appeals.

They passed the standard sushi test of Yellowtail, Eel, Surf Clam and Toro. All were as good if not better than any others I've tried; the Toro being so fresh that it simply didnt require a chew. Rolls are mainly old-school but there are a few innovative specials. I highly recommend the namesake Oishii Roll for its texture balance of crab (with a C) and blanched asparagus topped with baked, chopped mussels. Delicious and I totally appreciated the minimalist sauce that accompanied.

Oishii is extremely well-priced for their high-quality goods. It is also a very small restaurant. The combination predicitably creates a wait for a table, as well as some slower turnaround. Service is still friendly and compentent, just don't expect now-now, go-go.

Oishii
3764 Richmond Ave
Houston, TX 77046
(713) 621-8628

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home