Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Modern Fort Worth

The Modern, Fort Worth

I love Fort Worth. IMHO, it outranks Dallas as a place to live; friendly people, little traffic, affordable real estate, an inhabitable downtown and most importantly, culture. Its freaky that outside of NYC, Fort Worth has the largest modern art museum in the country. I guess what most people dont realize is that Fort Worth is where all the money is, not Dallas; wherever the money is, culture will follow. Imagine.

I've been bad about getting to Fort Worth. It seems sooo far away when your life is already too busy. TodayI had to go, one exhibit I've wanted to see for 3 months was ending .

Dan Flavin. Cool work. Flourescent lighting. I know what you're thinking, who the hell wants to see a bunch of kitchen lights on a big white wall? And basically thats exactly what it was; varied colors and more interesting patterns but still flourescent lighting. I think I must have inherited the art gene from my mom the painter, cuz I liked it. If I ever get a big open lofty space I'm going to do something Flavinish in a room.

I wonder if The Modern would consider my empty Rose's Mango Martini mixer bottles, which I have cleverly filled with varying shades of orange and yellow colored water, art? :-D

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

What's garbage to one is art to another. somewhat random, but kind applicable: My absolute FAVORITE quote I picked up when I did crisis and peer counseling in Undergrad:

"To the World you may be One, but to One you may be the World."

Hope you had a good weekend!

~Brian

8:27 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

And actually your comment is right on. Its about perspective. Ask 1000 people to interpret a situation and you will get 1000 opinions and 1000 perspectives, all valid. Noone gets a monopoly on free thought!

Weekend was great hope yours was too ! -- Jim

10:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home