Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Friday, July 08, 2005

Raising The Micro Management Bar

My friend Alana (aka Fifi, Joan Crawford and Serial Mom) has had quite the eventful recent past in the employment realm. She was laid off, with so many others, in 2002, after giving ten years of her life to the same company. It was quite the blow. Instead of jumping back into the corporate game she decided to take a little time off and think about her next move. She already knew she didn't want to go back into the corporate world and she had been saving cash to have the time off.

She tried real estate, insurance, sales and eventually landed in education.

She was really excited about the education job, they loved her too. Well, at least it started out that way. Then the details started to trickle in. Her manager started showing some signs of micromanagement; checking up on her once too often during the day, reviewing everything she did, quizzing her on all aspects of all processes. Initially Alana thought - ok, this lady is just covering her bases since I'm new. But after then newness wore off, the management style became tighter and tighter.

The final blow came when this manager announced to Alana (and the whole staff) that everyone was to send an acknowledment email to each email that she sent out. I had to laugh out loud at this. What maniac wants 300 acknowledgement emails a day? Besides, Outlook (which they use at the office) allows you to return receipt any email sent. I've been a project manager before. When I've sent out emails to delegate tasks I dont want acknowledgment, just do the dang task and we'll cover the details in a weekly status meeting. Keep it simple is my policy.

But Alana complied. She would get emails from the manager then send confirmations. One lined emails: "Confirmed", "Got it", "Acknowledged".

Apparently this was not enough. Alana got called into the manager's office for a scolding.

"This is not appropriate response to my emails !!!"

The manager had printed out each acknowledment email and taken a highlighter to each one to emphasize the bad thing that Alana did. "You're kidding me, right? Who has time to do all of that? That's crazy with a capital C.", was my response.

Apparently psycho manager girl did not think one word responses were appropriate, complete sentences were supposed to be used.

I've seen alot of micromanagers in my day but this chick sweeps every category. Congrats to her, she wins the crazy micromanager of the year award! Grand prize - one year's supply of lithium. And this is probably better used on her husband, poor bastard.

7 Comments:

Blogger hbjock said...

Oh my God!! You know, we had a bit of that when I was back in high school. One of the Board of Trustees for my school decided that since she had a degree in Education and had previously been the Superintendant of DOE schools on another island, she felt the need to giver her approval on EVERYTHING that the school administration and the teachers did. Hell, everything from publications to tshirts to lesson plans... she wanted to know everything! She drove everyone nuts... Eventually she got taken to court by the student body and the alumni association and she and the rest of the board were booted from office (for other financial faults aside from micromanagement).

I hope everything either cools down for Alana, or she should seriously look for another job!

BTW, thanks for your compliments on my last journal entry... I'm a history buff and have a degree in Hawaiian history so I like to post a lot about that =).

3:19 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Hey there!

Im sure Alana will feel a little better that someone else has gone through an experience just as crazy. I couldnt believe someone could be that controlling!

Dont worry, she is definitely looking for something else! :)

The history details were fascinating. I am totally ignorant on Hawaii (except for tourist grade info) so whatever you can teach will be appreciated!

9:08 AM

 
Blogger Brettcajun said...

Wow! Just my luck, I'll leave for greener pastures and get Alana's Boss. Thanks for the warning! By the way, why don't you have your email linked on your blog? Sometimes I want to write to you and tell you how sexy you are... and I can't! I have to post it here publicly! Ha ha! Maybe that is your intent! Hmmm.... SMART man!

9:39 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I wonder what Whatevia would have to say about this woman?? :-D

9:39 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, no Brett, do not get Alana's boss!! Maybe we could get psycho girl to come work for your dad? :)


I'll email you!

9:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all from Alana

Yes, I did resign after a screaming session (not by me) and as always looking forward for new opportunity.

Jim left out one detail.

After I told wacko woman I QUIT. It wasn't enough. I was contacted for days afterwards, to give them a resignation letter, the wording that they wanted.

So after all that was done, I tried to leave on a professional note, thanking them (yet again) for the opportunity, and now that we have that behind us, maybe we could meet for a drink one day.

Wacko's response I received was, "she would not be caught dead being seen with me since I did not know how to construct a proper sentence."

All-righty-then, but

ok,
got it,
received!!!

11:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Confirmed, got your comment! lol

4:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home