Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Keyhole View

Here we go again. Completely predictable, in fact, I'm surprised we haven't heard of this earlier than now. I was reading the campus rag today and there was a rephrasing of another article in the Dallas Morning News regarding a Dallas woman trying to block Dallas theatres from showing Brokeback Mountain.

As I'm sure we all know by now this is the story written by Pulitzer-prize winning authors Annie Proulx & Larry McCurtry, directed by award-winning Ang Lee and, at least according to the rumor mill, will net Heath Ledger a nomination for best actor. Sure, its touchy content; two married men carying on a secret relationship over several decades but on a higher level this is a love story.

The article went on to discuss that the film offended this woman's strong 'Christian moral fiber'. Oh, you'll love this part, if the movie was released into theatres, she and her church would boycott Lowes, who will be showing it in Dallas. I think the gist here is that she and her misguided crew would try to put the financial hurt on Lowes.

I wish she knew that many of my Christian friends are coming with me to this film. I wonder how she would respond. I also wonder what exactly is she trying to accomplish with these tactics?

Hello? This is America, welcome to my country. Here in America, businesses like Lowes are run with a single-focused agenda - profit. The entertainment polls are indicating over 25 million people will see this movie right out of the chute. Let me get out my calculator. Wow, at $8 a ticket did you know thats $200 million dollars, that is a huge pile of green. Does this lady honestly believe Lowes is going to give a crap about her personal issues with this film?

Dear whack-job in Dallas:

We at Lowes have decided to forfeit our millions in profit to make sure that you, merely one of our millions of potential customers, are pleased with the selections of film offered to the general public in your area.

Delusionally yours, Lowes

Anyway ...

Maybe she has a problem with the infidelity aspect. Fine. Maybe its the homosexuality. Fine. These are aspects of society that have been around from the beginning and therefore we can safely assume, by induction, that they will continue regardless of one's personal views. Each person will make their peace with these realities. Or I should say, some of us will, while others will continue to fight a disappointing, frustrating and ultimately, losing battle.

When the movie 8MM came out I decided the content wasn't something that I wanted to see. So, and I know this is highly controversial action on my part, I just didn't go to see the film. I know, I'm out there. I suppose in my mind I thought that denying the rest of the world the right to choose whether or not they wanted to see the film would be wrong. That would have been a case of me imposing my will and unjustifiably huge ego on others, which is always offensive to everyone's moral fiber, Christian or not.

Ultimately I feel sorry for people like this lady, it must be a sad, limiting life to look at the world through a keyhole.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I'm telling ya collect as much propaganda as you can on this. It makes great framed art after the inital rush of hatered has passed. I have a great set of hate letters protesting the "LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST" It is the funniest thing to read... now that the cloud of hate has moved on. Film hatred is the most bizarre hate crime ever. If you dont like the film how can you judge it BEFORE YOU SEE IT!


Like I wanna be in heaven with someone like that!

5:50 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes Sangroncito, it passed, not too surprising though. Outside of way liberal-minded Austin, Texas is uber-conservative, if not slipping dangerously into the 1950's.

I'm hoping to leave next year.

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes, Brian, it truly is a shame. And then to hide behind God as an alibi, its a wonder she doesnt spontaneously burst into flames :)

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, exactly Scotty! Oh, those people who screamed over the Last Temptation of Christ just killed me.

No worries, I dont think you will have to share heaven with her, she hasn't learned enough to even fill out the application yet :)

7:33 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

And you have to fill those damn things out with a number two pencil! If you use a pen they cant read your form! (i hope she uses a pen)

7:53 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL Scotty. Right, a No2 pencil, she won't remember that. Not to mention I bet she doesn't know that you have to use a pink Scantron form with the last 4 digits of your social right aligned! :)

8:43 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

lol!

3:36 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes George, people need to vote. It was disappointing, particularly the voter turnout, which was reported to be one of the lowest on record!

Lets hope Colorado wont be next!

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Oh Noeha, I think its all too clear how she voted on Prop 2.

Yuk is correct!

10:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home