Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Journey

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be in and out of town; some holiday related travel and some investigation of new cities to live. The last couple of moves I've made have been more spontaneous rather than strategic, so I'm trying to be more analytical in my approach.

According to the Milken Institute Report, here is the ranking for best Life Sciences cities, in terms of work force density and available opportunities.

1. San Diego
2. Boston
3. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
4. San Jose
5. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett
6. Washington, D.C.
7. Philadelphia
8. San Francisco
9. Oakland
10. Los Angeles-Long Beach
11. Orange County, CA
12. Austin-San Marcos

I've added Altanta (CDC), Houston (MD Anderson) and Dallas (Baylor and UTSW).

I've lived in or worked in almost all of those cities except Boston, Raleigh, and Seattle. I've visited Boston and Raleigh but those visits have been 1 or 2 day business trips, not really enough time to explore. I've never been to Seattle.

Boston is great from the tiny bit I've seen. You have to love the culture, the local history and all of the distinct ethnic neighborhoods. The people seem smart, sarcastic, friendly in a distant and cautious way, in this respect it reminds me of NYC.

Raleigh is also great. What it lacks in culture (compared to Boston) it makes up for with great weather (4 mild seasons) and drop dead gorgeous scenery. Raleigh has the lowest unemployment of any city in the US and strangely, it has the highest number of PHD's per capita of any city in the US (I find this a little intimidating).

I like Atlanta too, its comparable to Dallas in many ways but one huge advantage is that it has real public transport. I haven't been to Atlanta in 10 years so I'm assuming its changed a little. Atlanta has a nice metro feel, moderate climate and its closer to the parents.

Its an east coast run this time. I was going to try to do all three over Christmas break but I think I will wait until Spring for Boston, maybe the white stuff will be gone by then :)?

If anyone has insight into Boston, Raleigh or Atlanta, feel free to comment, good or bad.



13 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Elster said...

LONG BEACH! If you want crack at discount prices then by all means yes!
Long beach is one of those places that has an odor. The smell of long beach is crude oil and sulfur. Please if anyone knows of a nice part of the LB you just chime in anytime.
Anytime.


I thought so.
Strike that city off the list.

11:38 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, so stricken!

Jeez, has LB deteriorated over the years, I remember it being rather nice in the 80s.

2:51 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Yes. its soaking in bum urine. Please ,if any one in Long Beach wants to speak up ... Strap on a sack and prove me wrong!

5:00 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ick, LB, out. Funny, the two friends I had in LB, moved to WeHo in the 90's, claiming it was a better environment, I guess that is what they meant.

Actually I did a bit of research into the jobs in the LA area today, most are near SFV, what's that area like now?

6:17 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

thats where I live.
Some areas are great some ... not so great. I currently live a block away from Universal Studios. It's was a great place when i moved in 15years ago but it has become a strange area. Hookers and lots of drugs floating around. Trust me if you have freinds in West Hollywood they will never visit you in the valley. People in weho tend not to "go over the hill"

2:33 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I can usually only take the WeHo boys in small doses (usually with liquor) so that isnt a concern :)

I looked at LA residential today, wow, its not really as high as I thought. Downtown lofts look appealing.

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I know a few people who have very cool lofts downtown. Make sure you get secure parking. Thatsa big selling point and it does make a difference. After 7pm some areas of downtown transfom into homless shantitowns. (no joke)if you dont have parking you are really risking your ride.

1:59 PM

 
Blogger M said...

i vote for ATL! :-)

3:08 PM

 
Blogger M said...

I have been to both Raliegh and Atlanta - i would choose Atlanta any day of the week!

3:09 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Scotty, thanks for the heads up about downtown living, secure parking it would be!

I think I'm in love with the Pan Am building downtown. They are supposed to be finished with the first lofts by March '06, which would be just in time for my west coast run :)

3:46 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Did someone finally get their computer fixed?!?

And Atlanta would have the Matt and Sam bonus appeal :)

Thats right, I almost forgot about your brief encounter with the Raleigh area! :))

3:50 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Brazilians too? I do remember Boston having a HUGE Italian population.

7:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home