Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

[ stóopid ]

I forgot to mention this. The day after I got back from Oklahoma City my credit card company called to inform me of some suspicious activity on my account. I inquired as to what constituted 'suspicious activity'. Frequently I travel to other cities and charge hotels, food, whatever - no reason to be alarmed. Or worse, shut off my card, which is what they did. Then the nice lady on the other end explained how in the span of one day someone had charged $14,000 to my card.

Crap, yes, that is definitely suspicious.

But it was more than suspicious, it was stupid. This brain-trust had ordered from 3 different online stores and had all delivered to the same physical address. Did they not know every major credit card company has software called fraud alert which detects this type of pattern? Could they not forsee that the card would be deactivated immediately? Did they not realize the stores would be alerted as to potential fraud, which would necessarily mean that the merchandise would never leave the warehouse?

The charges were reversed and affidavits signed so I'm out nothing, just a snickering, sarcastic thought that there is someone, somewhere wanting to know where the hell their stuff is :)

10 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

Wow! It seems that credit theft is going around! Someone got Mom's number, it was a teenage girl. She ordered Pizza and some *hot* clothes. Made my mother angry enough to track down this person. She found out who she is and turned her into the police.
suzy

11:03 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Jeez. I'm glad it worked all out for you. Did someone steal your number; any idea who it is?

Heading to Cincinnati for work or pleasure or both?

12:34 AM

 
Blogger NeiLDC said...

hey, hope everything is ok... be alert on evrything on your stuff...

well, im inviting you for dinner..okay?

7:20 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Good for your mom Suzy! Teenagers, sheesh!

Although my credit card company wouldnt say, they made it seem as though they were going after this person. I guess $14K was above their tolerance zone :)

7:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

No clue Jason, but I know *where* the fraud originated, so does the credit card company :)

Cincinatti will be both - strangely both family and work are there.

8:09 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Neil, I am! Sure, dinner in Spain sounds good to me :)

8:23 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

How do you think they got your card number?

8:50 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Ryan, I think someone just wrote the numbers down then tried to use them on the internet.

9:56 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yeah 7, its annoying. Oh, and travel for work always sounds appealing until you realize you dont get to do too much when you get to where you are going! :)

Oh no I was an inspiration, I must investigate, clicking now :-)

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You're probably right, 7, its more the book commando butt-kicking I might not forget :)

8:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home