Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Superfreak, Superfreak

The birthday celebration continues, of course, since it is not November yet :) This installment, Noeha, Galina and Lauren took me to sushi and a movie. This post's reference to the classic Rick James song is because of the movie. You will understand once you've seen it.


Little Miss Sunshine


This is the best indie comedy I've seen this year. Take a very dysfunctional Albuquerque family with an average-looking daughter who wants to be a beauty queen, strap them into a VW bug and send them to Southern California to participate in a pageant.

Sounds easy enough but oh, the complications along the way. Sheesh. Not to mention the end performance from the 10 year old star of the film, which is one of the funniest 5-minute sequences I've seen this year. I could not stop laughing.

Acting is incredible, everyone, but I have to give a big hand to Paul Dano, who plays the son. It takes some talent to have strong presence without saying nary a word.

While this story is decidedly a comedy and an acidic one at that, it is still one with heart. The characters are brilliantly off-beat, each with their own personal demons but strangely enough it is their demons that eventually bring them all together in one big, messy, hysterical group hug of an ending. Little Miss Sunshine may not win any awards but you will be cheering it on anyway.

She's a super freak, super freak
She's super-freaky, yow


9.5/10

12 Comments:

Blogger ryan charisma said...

I'm glad you saw this.

I loved it.

Shall I do the dance her grandfather taught her for you?

2:29 PM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

Now I have to see it :)

2:46 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

I'm going to the 6:50 feature with "DIMFA"...it's our second date. I can't wait to see it...It's funny that you reviewed it and I was already going today. I'll let you know what I think (no surprise there!)

6:58 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, yes Ryan. I would like for you to do the Superfreak dance then put in on YouTube :)

7:40 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Of course must Scott, we are purple yoga mat twins, we do everything in synch.

(Please check with me about your dating and school schedule :)

7:45 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Steve, what is a DIMFA? I am apparently needing to read your blog to catch up :)

Enjoy!

7:53 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

I've been wanting to catch this one. Maybe I'll be able to sneak it in this weekend. You need to come up with your own version of Ebert and Roeper. That could be fun!

8:26 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Jason, thats a good idea! :) Let me know how you like it.

1:07 AM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

DIMFA is Doctor In Making From Argentina LOL - yes, read the blog - you've been entirely too busy concentrating on your oh so busy world :)

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the movie. I thought the Superfreak part was fantastic and I wanted to participate :)

2:18 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I finally got caught up Steve, congrats, sounds interesting :)

LOL, I know, I loved the whole Superfreak sequence, I was dancing that on the way back to the car!

7:28 AM

 
Blogger The Persian said...

I think I would like this as well, thanks for the review.

Have a great weekend Jim :)

9:43 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I think you would too Jim, we Jim's think alike :)

You have a great weekend too!

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home