Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Jim Manual - CH2: Ending Debates

Despite our age difference, Home Depot Guy and I are very compatible. Its in odd ways really, like the fact that we are both highly analytical and almost always non-reactive. We're both Buddhists. We're both cheating vegetarians. Another thing is that neither one of us watch TV. Of course HD Guy has gone a step further - he doesn't even have cable, I still do.

Back in January we both decided since we had never seen Queer As Folk, we would rent all five seasons and watch them together.

HD Guy: At 12 shows a season you do realize that you are committing to about 60 nights with me?

Me: Yes, I am aware of the simple math.

HD Guy: Just clarifying in the name of good communication. I suppose this is sign that you like me enough for a couple of months?

Me: Yes, you are correct. And I'm sure you see that I assume the same.

HD Guy: Yeah, I see that. I also see your butt looks good in those jeans.


So, now 8 months later, we finished watching the very last show last night. Overall we both liked it, mostly because they addressed some heavy subjects in an unapologetic and straight-forward manner. I thought the writers lost steam after the 3rd season, the other two seasons just seemed like they were grasping at high drama storylines in order to retain ratings.

We both agreed Debbie (Gless) was the glue that made the show cohesive and Emmett(Page) was the most believable character. We were opposed on the final show. HD Guy loved it, I thought it sucked.

Me: You loved it?

HD Guy: Yeah, it had a good message, everything changes but everything is still good.

Me: Are you kidding me? The character with the most issues, Brian, was copped out and the writers did nothing to resolve them.

HD Guy: He accepted himself as is.

Me: He was copped out, surely you see that.

HD Guy: I see your butt looks really good in those jeans.

And so concludes the intelligent debate portion of our evening.

16 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I see there wasnt too much debate about how good your butt looked in those jeans though....:-)

9:46 PM

 
Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said...

LOL...very nice. I find it funny that you were trying to get an intelligent debate out of QAF. I watched most seasons, and I agree that Sharon Glass was the glue. I think it was WAY HIGH D-RAMA, but it was like a train wreck you had to keep watching.
Congrats on the Home Depot Guy...that sounds like it's going really well...Good for you!

11:14 PM

 
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Your chats with HD Guy leave me all hot and bothered. All you ever talk about with him is sex sex sex.

12:16 AM

 
Blogger John said...

I saw the first few episodes of Q.A.F. (both English and American versions) I can't say I cared much for the characters and didn't feel compelled to watch the show.

Matt and I wave been watching the first 2 seasons of the new Battlestar Galactica. It's really good if a bit violent.

1:21 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Exactly Matt, this is a patented HDGuy move, end the debate with a compliment. Who argues with a compliment?

7:06 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Oh Steve, I'll debate sillier things than QAF with HD Guy :)

7:25 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, not really about sex Daniel but subject to interpretation :)

7:31 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

John, maybe we will check out BG next although HD Guy wants to check out 6 Ft Under.

7:43 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

#1 - you MUST see Six Feet Under - it's a wonderful show that you will be able to debate.

#2 QAF is merely Melrose Place for gays - how can anyone take it seriously?

I like both. Does that make me bi?

9:08 AM

 
Blogger john said...

I watched some of Queer As Folk, not all of it though. I also thought it was pretty good, didn't see the ending though.

9:32 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Definitely Ryan, this is a clear indication of your bi-ness.

Not to worry, I received email instruction this morning to expect season 1 of 6ft under and a 6ft man this evening.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

John, I wouldnt bother with the ending, or really, the last 2 seasons.

2:08 PM

 
Blogger purpletwinkie said...

I do believe I'm the only gay man in America who disliked QAF. My partner at the time had to get Showtime because he has to see it. I watched a few times and thought it was, for the most part, so unreal. I know... television... drama... entertainment... but I just passed on it.

Ok, so these pants and the good looking butt... when do we get a look at those?

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Scott, whether or not the jeans make my butt look good isnt relevant, its just a HD Guy scheme to end a debate :)

12:37 AM

 
Blogger ~r. said...

six feet under absolutely! its amazing. as far as your butt in jeans...why are you wearing jeans....its SUMMER!!

7:52 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Rachel, just watched the first few episodes of 6ft under, awesome! Oh, I'm wearing jeans in summer becuase my butt looks good :)

9:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home