Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

A Use For Sweet Potatoes

Generally I don't like sweet potatoes but this sounded good with the addition of rosemary and pancetta. If you're looking for a good winter soup to wow the guests, this one might work.


Sweet Potato Soup With Fried Pancetta and Rosemary Croutons

  • 4 Ounce Pancetta, thinly sliced
  • 3 Tbls Butter, divided
  • 1 C Shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 t Rosemary, chopped
  • 2 C Sweet Potatoes, cooked, skinned and mashed
  • 3 1/2 C Chicken Stock (or broth)
  • 1 1/2 C Sourdough bread, cubed
  • 2 T Whipping cream
  • 1 t Black pepper
  • salt

1 Chop the pancetta into small bits. Sautee pancetta over high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

2 Add half the butter to the same pan and sautee shallot over medium heat until soft and golden. Stir in 1 t of the rosemary, then add the sweet potatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook and stir occasionally for 30 minutes.

3 Remove from heat, add 2T of whipping cream and pepper, stir to blend. Taste, adjust, adding salt and pepper if necessary.

4 Add remaining butter to a pan. Over medium high heat melt butter, then add remaining rosemary, stir. Add sourdough bread cubes and pan fry until all sides are golden and crisp.

5 Ladel soup into bowls, top with mound of croutons and a sprinkle of fried pancetta.

As is, this soup will be chunky. I kinda like it like that but you could take a hand liquidiser to it and make it more smooth.

If you are using low-sodium stock, you will probably need to add a bit of salt (I added about 1 t) , otherwise you probably won't. Also, speaking of stock, in this particular soup the stock is a feature flavor, if you are buying stock off the rack rather than making it from scratch, I'd suggest choosing something high-grade.

Pancetta is an Italian bacon with a very distinct flavor. If your taste buds cannot detect the difference, I would use regular bacon, its easier to find and way less expensive.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Hmm, I'm normally not a big fan of the sweet potato. This recipe sounds pretty interesting. I'll add it to my recipe box for a rainy day.
Hope you have a Happy Holidays!!

12:59 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

Not a big Sweet Pototoe fan myself either...this past thanksgiving one of my cousins came up with a new recipe that makes them almost edible...The recipe has you mix 'Red Hots' (yes that candy you use to get as a kid Trick or Treating at Halloween ) between the sugar and the heat it spices them up to a non-gaging edible...
I usually don't even bother - geeze some people that thing a few marshmellows can fix anything, however I was hounded so much I did take a tablespoonful and actually ate all of it.

The only problem here is I would have to commit to first 'buying them' and then 'cooking them' and then actually 'eating them'... Unfortuantely, that has about as much probability of success as any of my new years resolutions. :-)

Hope you had a happy Holiday and enjoyed your 'taters

1:40 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Nor am I, Jason, but this as a big hit at Christmas!

6:37 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, well if you try it JC, enjoy! The reason I never enjoyed them before was because of dreaded marshmallow. Anything sweet is an automatic minus for me.

6:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home