Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

קדוש (Kadosh)

My youngest friend in Dallas is 26. Its near impossible for me to relate to the inner-workings of a 26 year old mind, but he is good person just the same. He goes through boyfriends every two weeks. He wants me to meet each one because they are "the one". I usually wriggle out of that since there's little point in meeting them, considering they will be replaced shortly with a slightly different version of the same.

I hadn't heard from The Young'un since January so I figured he was taking a break from the dating game, or he had settled into a meaningful 10-week relationship. It was the later.

Young'un: You have to meet my new BF, he's the one.

Me: Seems like Ive heard this before, lol.

Young'un: Cynical bitch, lol! No really, its different this time.

Me: Oh OK, lol.

Young'un: No really, hes not even blonde.

Hmm, well that is different since The Young'un is Latin and has tunnelvision for blondes.

Young'un: And he's taller than me too.

Hmm, that is also different. I always thought it was odd that The Young'un would not date anyone taller than him.

So I met new BF, nice guy. Tall, dark and Jewish. Since meeting the Jewish BF, The Young'un has been asking alot of questions about Judaism, like I'm the freaking Oracle for all thing Jewish, lol. But I answered all of his questions the best I could and pointed him off to some internet sites for future reference. I think he is trying to impress Jewish BF, we'll see how that works out.

Since the Young'un has a new interest in things Jewish, I invited him over the watch this Israeli film.


Kadosh (Sacred)


Its a heady piece about 2 sisters living in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem. Each sister has some struggle against their Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) community, in terms of marriage and other affairs of the heart.

I liked this film on a technical level; the cinematography, direction, script and acting are all top-notch. What I found disturbing was the portrayal of the Haredim as backwards, uninspired chauvinists. I'm sure that attitude exists in the Haredim, as it does in other communities, but this portrayal seemed a little extreme.

I kinda got over that when I saw this guy, who plays Yaakov. Nice. I'm glad I speak a little Hebrew, you know, in case I run into him in Tel Aviv :)



Sami Hori


After it was over I asked The Young'un what he thought.

Young'un: Wow, it was good but they are kinda rough on their women.

Me:I think that might be an isolated event rather than the norm.

Young'un: Yeah, oh, I liked the hats, I want one.

Me:What hats?

Young'un: You know, the kind those guys with the curls wear. You know, the Curly Q Jew hats :)

Obviously we are going to have to work on terminology, soon.

9.0/10

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger purpletwinkie said...

After all of that he "liked the hats". No comment. Better left unsaid :)

I've never understood how someone restricts themself to parameters such as, "I won't date blondes" or "I won't date anyone short". I've always tried to be interested in the person...everything else seems to fall into place. I know, I'm weird. ;)

8:52 PM

 
Blogger Sorted Lives said...

LOL -- that is why I like older men. I want them to at least know the proper name of "those hats."

I'm just saying..

9:27 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Right Scott, I'm weird like that too!

7:46 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL Sorted, and they know the proper names of so many other clothing items too ;)

7:47 AM

 
Blogger ryan charisma said...

mabye he was being funny - I know I'm playing the devil's advocate, but really, can anyone be that much of a ditz?

2:08 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yeah Ryan, he was being funny about the hat thing.

3:08 PM

 
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Oh my God, he thinks their side curls are hats. That's cute.

7:40 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Kids say the darndest things, dont they Daniel :)

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

I've seen that movie; very good, very sad.

If you like Israeli films, try Turn Left at the End of the World, or another Gitai film, Kippur, about the Yom Kippur War.

2:26 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Michael, I have Kippur in my Blockbuster Q, I'll add the other!

8:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home