Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

DFM

I finally made it next door to Dallas Fish Market. I probably mentioned that I had been there for a pre-opening event. While the event was nice, the nibbles circulating that evening were far from seafood and even further away from the level of excellence the restaurant was projecting from its hefty renovation and recruitment of some top notch talent.

I'm happy to report that DFM is excellent.

The bartendress who introduced me to the very delicious pear martini at the opening was there again last night. She whipped up another for me, which to my surprise she had been perfecting. In addition to the Pear Grey Goose, she added the smallest amount of Midori (mostly for color) and a hefty squeze of lemon. Dammit to hell, now I will have to go out and buy Midori.



The renovation of the space was not complete at the opening party, but it is now. I liked it. Its kind of that 1980's LA stark white theme mixed up with some modern espresso wood and funky Pablo lighting. Casual but still sophisticated without trying too hard to be trendy.




Having been to the more scaled down restaurant offering, Go Fish, from the same parent company I was not sure what to expect from the menu. Well, its a relatively small menu by Dallas standards, which I liked. There are several apps, several fish selections, several meat selections and some obligatory but delicious sounding desserts.

I wanted to get a good feel for their level of expertise so I sampled. Everything is excellent. My recommendation in the app department is the Fried Chili Oysters. Dont attempt to eat this all alone, its almost a meal. A thick southern style batter spiked with roasted chili meets 7 large oysters, all which are fried to greaseless prefection and served over a mixture of julliened bell peppers, cabbage and onion slightly seasoned with a light hoisin. Next time, I will just get two orders of these and call it a night.

I can't resist diver scallops, so I didn't. Incredible. Although I wanted more scallops, the few that were there were served over a roasted poblano coulis and a round of polenta that I swear tasted like rotiserrie chicken.

DFM is a little pricey ($50 person) but I think it can hold its own in that price range. Judging by the quality of the fare, the attentive but non intrusive service and the crowd they seem to be drawing, I would say my new neighbors have a great chance of anchoring the newly emerging Main Street.

Dallas Fish Market
1501 Main Street
Dallas, Texas 75201

(214) 744-3474

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I heart the decor there. Very cool. I need to get back to Dallas one of these days, sounds like there are A LOT of exciting restaurants in them parts.

Have a great extended weekend!!

7:05 AM

 
Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

Wow, looks nice. Next time I'm in Texas...

6:15 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Definitely check that one out, Jason. Hope y'all have a great weekend too!

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Rick, its a good choice if you visit the downtown area!

8:43 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

That place sounds great. Too bad I can't see myself getting into Dallas in the next decade or two...

7:11 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, I'm sure there is something similar in Tel Aviv (and I'll discover that one too! )

11:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you had a great labor day weekend....happy september!

1:54 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Gracias Sangrocito, feliz septiembre a ti tambien (I'm sure I just murdered that :))

7:49 PM

 
Blogger john said...

Looks like a fun place. If I'm in Dallas and it's still around (I don't know if I'll every venture to Texas), I want to see it.

10:49 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

John, I think it will survive. I never thought I'd be in Texas and here it is 14 years later :)

5:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home