Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Weekend

Not quite a week lag, but almost.

Developer #2 started last week and things are rolling along at work. Now development has started, which makes my life both harder and easier. The flood of questions and requests for resolution will now supercede my design and planning tasks. Its neither good nor bad, just different. But still enjoyable.

The New Yorker was in town. The New Yorker is a friend I met while he was living in Dallas. He escaped to NYC about 5 years ago. There are residents of NYC and then there are New Yorkers, the difference is huge and unmistakable. If you can absorb the non-stop activity, the intensity, the constant bombardment of the senses, the minimal lack of privacy, the extreme expense, pick only one of the 10,000 things to do on a random Tuesday evening and still know who you are and still love NYC, then you are a New Yorker. He is. Mistakenly plopped in Texas at birth, he is now home. And happy.

It was fun to show the New Yorker around downtown Dallas, where he used to live. So much has changed that it is now a notably different city to him. We sipped at a few places, nibbled at others. While not the same energy of Manhattan, even the New Yorker thought downtown Dallas might now have a chance to flourish.

My old sofa and chairs were finally delivered after their two month overhaul at the upholstery shop. Wow, I should have had them redone years ago, beautimous (pictures soon).

I went to a bar on Cedar Springs with friends and was bored, no surprise there. At least I stayed longer this time, a whole 30 minutes, lol.

Last but not least HEU Tara and I went to see a movie. Before you judge me, see it for youself. I loved this movie. I laughed that kind of deep-down, gasping for air laugh that can only come from inappropriate and immature high school level humor. I will add this one to the collection when it emerges on DVD.



Superbad

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard good things about that movie, I'll have to check it out.

I know what you mean about "New Yorker's". They are a certain breed. I have a few friends that live there, and they are definitely NY. They make great tour guides of the city!

Can't wait to see your photos.

7:00 AM

 
Blogger LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I am a native New Yorker that had the misfortune of being born in Oklahoma where I always felt alien. New York was the only place where I immediately felt at home and a city that was in sync with me. Most visitors had trouble keeping up with me when walking. Twelve years in San Francisco, and it still feels like a backwater.

I was in Dallas about a year ago, and it did feel different. However, downtown felt really odd since it is such a ghost town. Even at mid-day, there were maybe five people walking around even though the weather was perfect. I think Union Square in SF is fairly quiet, but nothing like downtown Dallas. Regardless, there are some great restaurants there that could equal anything in California. It's definitely more than fried chicken and ribs these days.

3:08 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Jason, I'll be curious to hear what you think about Superbad! :)

6:20 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thief, I lived in SF for 14 years and never considered it home; I liked it but I was a long term visitor.

Oh, downtown Dallas is a strange environment. The downtown residents usually work downtown, which is a highly regulated 8-5 shift, hence no people on the streets during the day. I imagine that will change soon since the city will be adding over 8000 residential units in the next 5 years.

6:24 PM

 
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I could never be a New Yorker.

11:32 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Jim:
Interesting point about who's a New Yorker. I'm definitely not...

You said: I lived in SF for 14 years and never considered it home; I liked it but I was a long term visitor.

That's sort of how I feel about Michigan. It's comfortable, but only by familiarity. I actually feel more at home here in Israel.

6:02 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Daniel: I like to think I'm am a NY-er considering both sides of the family come from NYC. I fit the profile, I've spent loads of time in the city but I've never had to deal with the expense!

6:18 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael: I'm glad you've found a place that feels like home! When I'm in NYC I feel like I'm home, much more so than Dallas (another long term visit, I think).

6:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home