Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Dallas Fish Market

Lovely Joan and I went to the pre-opening of a new restaurant in the Kirby Building, Dallas Fish Market. It was partially an art's district event and partially an advertising vehicle for the new venue.

The Kirby was built in the early 1900's and has since been many things, most recently upscale apartments. The ground floor of the building was most recently occupied by Jerobaum, that hideous mistake of a restaurant that I was only too happy to see fail. Even a Chipolte in the space would have been better so I'm glad to see DFM take over.

I love this building because it has great architecture; high ceilings, big dark wood window frames, marble / polished concrete floors and some original door handles / lighting. That architecture is design enough but I have seen other establishments over-decorate this space, effectively ruining the look. But I liked what they did to the inside; clean and crisp looking without becoming minimalist.

The nibbles that circulated during the event were far from what their menu advertised. The few things I tried were good (execept the foie gras in wrapped in green cotton candy, that was gross and didn't really go with the whole seafood theme).

Usually for these events I just go for drinks. I was not disappointed in that area either. They were serving Pear Vodka Martinis. Needless to say I ran right out and got some Pear Vodka (Absolut Pears). Its a great summer drink: Pear Vodka over ice with a splash of soda!


Since DFM is literally next door, I will definitely put forth the effort to walk the block to try it out for dinner after it opens to the public today.



Dallas Fish Market
1501 Main Street
Dallas, Texas 75201

(214) 744-3474

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Jim:
Sounds like you know where to find all the good eats and drinks.

execept the foie gras

Thanks for not promoting the torture of innocent geese.

8:48 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

Hey, are there any restaurants that you don't get too?

I've got to start taking notes on your blog, so I'll know where to eat if I'm ever in Dallas.

And Michael's right about the foie gras. Do you know what they do to those geese?

10:53 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, I wasnt aware they were tortured! I'm not a foie gras fan, definitely not a fan of it wrapped in green cotton candy, yack!

6:26 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Carl, usually I hit all the new ones! Believe it or not Dallas has the highest number of restaurants per capita than any other city in the US; eating out is like a contact sport here :)

6:30 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

More restaurants per capita than any other city?
Wow, and I thought Dallas was just about an evil football team, and an oversized airport.

Pear Vodka over ice with a splash of soda

Sounds good, but I prefer a whiskey soda, no ice.

10:03 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Carl, we are about those things too! :)

Ah, whiskey. Cant bring myself to touch the stuff after that unfortunate high school drinkathon involving 16 ounces of JD followed by a whole box of Captain Crunchberrys. Kind of an ugly morning after, lol.

10:07 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

16 ounces of JD followed by a whole box of Captain Crunchberrys

That sounds just as bad as the teduila and grape Kool Aid I did in college.

At least you didn't end up doing the Ministry of Silly Walks in public in your skivvies...

1:23 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Jim:
Foie gras is made from diseased goose livers; the livers are diseased because the geese are force-fed (through a tube) a liquid diet for 6 months to year, and allowed no exercise.

It's worse than veal.

1:41 PM

 
Blogger Brettcajun said...

I don't really care for fish unless it is fried. Those fancy dishes like foie gras is just too exotic for me. I am the most happiest with the basics in food. I guess that makes me a simpleton. (lol) How have you been boo?

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I might have Carl, I was not terribly sure of the details of the preceeding day :)

7:08 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, that is criminal. I'm glad I dont like the stuff!

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Brett, liking the basics doesnt make you a simpleton, lol. I've been doing well!

7:22 PM

 
Blogger carl r said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:58 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

You mean you don't remember?
Shocking.

3:59 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Jim, I wish it were criminal. What's even worse is, they are actually saying that foie gras is kosher.

No way it should be.

4:03 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Carl - I'm sure someone somewhere has a picture to remind me!

Michael - Kosher? Ha!

6:27 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

Jim:
If they've got a picture, than you must have forgotten to destroy them all!
Don't run for public office... I know I can't, either (if those Rocky Horror pics ever get out)

4:09 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Oh, right, I forgot about my Rocky Horror pictures too. But they are not as bad as the pictures from my Sordid Lives party (if you havent seen that movie please rush out to rent it :) )

8:56 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

Is it the sort of movie the girlfriend would sit through?
She could stand Rocky Horror.
Honestly, I don't know why drunk college students take cameras to parties.
"Hey, we're drunk, cross dressing, half-naked, and dancing around a barrel of Everclear! Got a camera?"
Bad, bad idea.

7:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home