Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Hine Ani Ba (Here I Come)

Cousin Marnina kept playing this song from HaDag Nachash in her car. I liked it but couldn't figure out most of the words and the ones I could figure out I didn't understand in context. She said I would understand it after she translated it (which she did below).

Its a song about a guy that moves from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv and back. Once you've seen Tel Aviv and Jerusalem back-to-back it makes even more sense, the contrast of the two is incomprehensible.

Enjoy!





Yerushalayim a city worth a bang
Walk the sidewalk (the Midrahov - such as the place we had coffee)
Feel like on a kibbutz
Diaspora a thousand cultures
Each has a brother and nine sisters
Arabs ok ultra-orthodox in heder (study room)
Everybody here gets God on a band wave (like a radio)
After Teddy (Kollak the most influential mayor) Yerushalyim declined quickly
From day to day Tel Aviv glimmers more
Friends left or became closer to the creator of heavens
Grey, boring, no sea
Thoughts of leaving
It took me three years to reach the decision
Pack my stuff into a suitcase
From the village to the city going downwards.

Tel Aviv - here I come
I am reaching you - here I come
I am coming to sweat - here I come
Cause you are the only one I swear

I went towards the coast
I am about to be shocked
And now that I am finally in Tel Aviv
Fitting in the scenery everything is fresh and that's good
Wow so many breasts my eyes burn
After two years of Sodom and Gomorra
I can't recognize myself in the mirror
I know everyone, combine with everyone hang with
All of the discotheque owners
Now that I am "in" I understand that it does not glimmer
So much noise, so much smog
Give me grass give me a tree
The whole day is wasted on hello hello
The rent costs a fortune, the humidity drives you crazy
And then the coin dropped (a phrase meaning he understood) I had heaven in my hands
Thoughts of leaving
It took me three years to reach the decision
Pack my stuff into a suitcase
From the city to the village

Yerushalyim - here I come
Back to you - here I come
To your walls (of the old city) - here I come
Cause you are the only one I swear

I came back to Yerushalyim
Here the humus is good that is verified
Give me calm give me quiet
A yawn cant hurt
When is the last time I put a note in the western wall,
Had good food, made new friends
This city will let me regain control over my life
Get mixed in with myself instead of mixing in water
Breath mountain air as clear as wine
Yalla Beitar (soccer team) Yalla the life in the village
The most important thing is to be happy

Here I come

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had I known you were going to post it I would have add more punctuation marks so here you go:,,,,,, ? ' ,,,
:)
Marnina

10:53 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Cousin, I totally understood it without punctuation :) Thanks for introducing me to HaDag Nachash, they are great! (here is some punctuation back ***&&&*&*,,,<<) lol

6:14 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Like most Israeli music videos, I couldn't follow it.

On the other hand, I can't follow music videos in English, either...

4:03 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, the HaDag Nachash video is kind of choppy and fragmented but it was interesting to me as I felt the same in contrasting Tel Aviv with Jerusalem!

6:42 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

contrasting Tel Aviv with Jerusalem

Interesting you said that, because those are two cities that absolutely cannot be compared!

3:08 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You're right Michael, you can try to compare but the only thing in common is the country they share.

6:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone have the original hebrew or a transliterated version of the lyrics?

6:47 AM

 
Blogger Ken Macklin said...

could you please post the hebreew lyrics in english .. i jus love this song :)

5:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know where you can find some lyrics in the hebrew script. I have been looking, but can't find any.

4:57 PM

 
Blogger Joe Gettinger said...

This translation is amazing! It really did a good job of capturing the spirit of the song.
Could this be put up somewhere more formal, like a Wikipedia article on Hine Ani Ba? (yet to be made)

1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home