Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Red Square

My mom is a very talented artist. I'm still amazed at the pencil sketch she did of my dad back when they were both still in high school. And to think she did that while eating French fries out of Mc Donald's bag and sitting in the sand near the beach in St. Petersburg.

Everywhere I've lived almost all of the paintings on my walls have been my mom's. People compliment. People hire her. Shes good. But modern art has never been her thing. Not that she cant appreciate it, it just doesn't speak to her. So when I asked her to depart from her usual watercolor realism to do a big block modern acrylic, I wasn't sure she would want to attempt. She did. She loves a challenge and learning; modern and acrylic being completely foreign to her.

She delivered over Thanksgiving weekend.



Red Square by Mom



Detail


Me like. I like the orange detail she added. She said she wanted to put something in the painting that would abstractly remind me of my trip to Israel. It does!

There will be 5 more of these coming in time, then they will all get moved above the big white sofa.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It's so special to have art made by someone close to you. It connects you to the art, and the art connects you to each other.

9:20 PM

 
Blogger suzy said...

Your mother is increadibly talented! The painting is beautiful.

10:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky are you?
That's really cool you have such a talented and thoughtful artist in the fam.

11:42 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Agreed Brian!

6:32 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Suzy!

6:33 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Mucho lucky Jason!

6:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw this painting just before your Mom finished it. IT is a great piece of art done by a great lady. I was glad I got to see it in person. We had a great visit, just not long enough.
Take care.
DC Mom (now in Vacaville)

10:22 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

You are right DC Mom (now CA mom). I have been noticing how it changes in different light, very cool.

The neighbor above me, who can see into my living room from the reflection of the building across the street, told me she just bought a painting similar to red square. Of course she paid $2000 for hers :)

6:13 AM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Kudos to your mom, for meeting that challenge.

That's a very nice painting. I like the subtle detail work.

I may have to take a pic of the work my uncle gave me. It is oddly similar, although nowhere near alike...

1:27 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I'd like to see your uncle's painting Michael.

Mom is pretty amazing, she did that painting with only one visit to the new place. I can barely remember names, forget about colors.

6:14 AM

 
Blogger carl r said...

I like the painting, especially hung over the bowl of fruit like that. Very nice, and props to your mom!

9:31 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Carl! It seemed the right place for it. Mom is definitely expanding her skills with my modern phase :)

6:47 PM

 
Blogger Michael said...

Jim:
By now you've seen my post in response to this. I think that my uncle and your mom have similar tastes/styles in artwork.

Interesting comparison, nachon?

4:04 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Yes Michael I saw your uncle's painting, I liked it! They both did a great job at modern.

6:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home