Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, May 05, 2008

The Blink Of An Eye

I wasnt sure what to expect from this one. It was nominated for a bunch of awards last year so I thought it deserved a place in my Blockbuster queue. After it arrived I read the synopsis and put it back in its sleeve without a viewing. It sounded depressing - a man has a stroke and is paralyzed completely except for his left eye. Oh, how fun! About a week later I watched it anyway.

It is depressing on some level, its simply the situation. But this is a great film that will move you on several levels, just not ones you are expecting. The filming style is innovative and edgy, giving the viewer perspective from the main character, Bauby. What's even more interesting are all of the characters who interact with Bauby, quite challenging acting considering Bauby never speaks or moves. Beyond that, it was fascinating that, with considerable help and an interesting form of communication, Bauby published a book. The book is the title of the film.


I watched the whole thing, loved it but it wasnt until later that night that someone told me it was based on a true story, an editor for Elle magazine.



The Diving Bell and The Butterfly
9.5/10

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

I can not imagine that kind of a prison. I think it would make me insane, to want to communicate, and not have the ability. Or have the ability to do anything for myself, but having my mind still function.

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Right Suzy, that locked-in syndrome is unimaginable to me too! However, it was interesting to see Bauby "adapt" to his condition and actually be able to get a book published. Simply amazing.

10:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home