Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, June 02, 2008

Let It Be

Generally speaking, unless I'm parked in $100 Broadway theatre seat, I am not a fan of the musical. But this one was recommended by one of my new Houston friends and he was quite accurate - fantastic.

The plot is trite and predictable but who really watches a musical for innovative plot details. You should definitely watch this one for its 1960's psychedelica, the trauma and protest of the Viet Nam war and the renovated Beatles homage, most of which I thought was better delivered than the originals (no offense to Beatles purists).

There is one scene early on that is set against the backdrop of the Detroit riots. I thought it was one of the most moving scenes I've seen this year. The track accompanying the riot footage is "Let It Be", but rather than its Beatles rendition it was done in chicken-fried gospel. This one hit a chord with me since I was lucky enough in my single digit years to visit an all black church in southern Alabama to hear this kind of gospel first-hand. Its one of my most favorite memories. Not that I saw anything mind you, you know black ladies and their big-ass, ornate church hats block every view, but the powerful vocals and raw energy still stick with me today.



Across The Universe
10/10

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Brettcajun said...

OMG. We did NOT like this film. It seemed like a bunch of music videos strewn together. We bought it on PPV and watched only 20 minutes of it before we couldn't take it anymore.

6:42 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thats too bad, Brett. Yes, it is a musical on video, thats prob. why it seemed like a bunch of music videos :)

8:23 AM

 
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I want to jump in and say how much I hated this film. I'm happy to know that you found good in it somewhere. It was clear that the only reason for certain scenes were to incorporate a song into the film. "Dear Prudence" was the moment I lost it and started hate-punching the air like a crazy person. I felt it was an insult to the original material. For my money I get more entertainment out of the Bee Gees' film. I consider this film a sequel to that mess. I'm with Brettcajun on this one. The 20 minute mark was the moment I said I'll give it another 15 minutes and then, like a train wreck, I couldn't tear myself away. I spent the entire film counting up the reasons to hate it. When I ran out of fingers and toes I realized I should have been writing them down but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit through that crapfest again.

4:29 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, Gavin, too bad you didnt care for it. ALOT :)

6:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home