Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Rice Military

I think I've decided on a place to live. Or at least an area. It called Rice Military. I really liked the Museum District and Midtown but ugh, the prices and parking situation are unreal. Midtown was also a bit too young for me. Rice Military is north and west of dowtown Houston about 5 minutes. Its an old neighborhood that had been an off-limits hispanic community full of auto mechanic shops and salvage yards when I lived in Houston in the 90's. But its going through some drastic renovation. I think we could call it transitional.

All the buildings face the main street, Washington Ave., with parking in the back, which kind of reminds me of Oak Lawn. Now that the Montrose and The Heights are too expensive, people are heading in this direction. Its a very quirky mix of people you encounter walking Washington Avenue: a still strong hispanic community seems to get along well with a growing number of gay couples, young professionals seeking a more gritty, less expensive area and the occassional suburbanite looking for the new undiscovered in-town restaurant and bar.

Its less than a mile walk to Allen Parkway and the Montrose. A mile from Memorial Park. A block away from I-10 and 15 minutes from the Med Center where I'll be working. I love the huge old trees, the streets with no curbs and for being so close to downtown, its very quiet. (Except for the train that comes through randomly, which is OMG loud, lol)

In walking Washington Ave. today I talked (in Spanish) to a young guy with a tamale cart selling beef and chicken tamales for $6/dozen (they were very good!) Then a young single lady who does physical therapy at Baylor. Then an older gay couple who just made a killing selling a home in The Heights. At the end of my walk I discovered a new sushi place being installed. I might move in just in time for the grand opening :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

Sounds like a really fun place to live. I know you will find something wonderful.

9:20 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Suzy, I think it will be fun! Assuming I have time to explore :)

3:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm all caught up on your blog now. Congrats on the move! That's cool the fam will be near as well. Looking forward to seeing your new digs :)

8:57 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Jason, look for new pics in June :)

9:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Houston. As a native I love it.

5:16 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

I do too native one! :)

6:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home