Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Orientated

Everything is unpacked and put away. All the boxes are broken down, tied up and in the garage. I have located all the essentials: Bank, Gas Station, Home Depot and Central Market. I'm slowly getting used to the new freeways and the maze of one way streets and subway-only parts of the roads in my neighborhood.

This week is only orientation at work so I doubt there will be much to tell. I like everyone so far. I completely love the fact that I can take the subway to work or get in my car and drive a whole 1.2 miles.

There are a couple of things I've noticed about Houston. First, the people are much more friendly than Dallas. This took some getting used to. You might not expect it since Houston is the 4th largest city in the US, but they still are rooted in a more southern tradition of social interaction.

Everything is green and plants grow like crazy; its like living in a forest. I guess high humidity has a silver lining.

Traffic is worse than rush hour in Manhattan. Sheesh, maybe its just the paths I take but I know I will stay off the roads between 4-8p if at all possible.

Economy, e-shmonomy. If the economy is doing poorly you would never know it by the amount of high-end residential going up all over. I thought it might just be in the Museum District but apparently no place inside the loop is exempt. In a 4-block walk around my neighborhood I counted 23 new town home complexes under construction.

I'll get to pictures this weekend, I just located the camera last night :)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

Sounds great so far! 1.2 miles? You can even walk to work, if the weather co operates. I can not believe you have everything unpacked! We moved in 8 years ago and I still have a couple boxes I have not unpacked. They might just go to goodwill as is....

9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're getting acclimated to your new surroundings.

Houston sounds like a cool place too. Looking forward to your photo review :)

7:24 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Suzy, I had boxes that were unpacked for 20 years. When I packed up this time I gave it all to charity.

I dont think I will walk to work. With 90 degree temps and 90 percent humidity, I'd need a shower after I got to work, lol.

8:05 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

So far I love Houston, Jason. I will get some pics this weekend and post. Things are still in progress but can get a feel for where I am going.

8:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home