Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Red Ball Of Joy 2

Friday 10:20pm

Its Heeeeeere.

Obviously my power and internet is holding out but crap is falling all over the place. I'm assuming its branches. I'm hoping the Big Wheel that some idiot left out back doesnt become a missile. I'd hate for the one story from my "I survived IKE" chapter to be I got knocked out by a Big Wheel traveling at 80 MPH. That would be tragic, lol :)

Friday 9:20pm

Wind died down a bit. Neighbors are having a hurricane party. Beer and ping pong, bring a friend, lol.


Friday 8pm:

Holy crap, the wind has definitely picked up! Still no rain but now its dark and new place feels creepy. I made buffalo burgers with apricot chipotle sauce for dinner. Yum! I know it sounds crazy to be cooking but I find it comforting.

I just had my second RBV, I'll be wide awake but relaxed by the time Ike comes to town, lol. I'll be making my way to the interior room with no windows by midnight, which would be the upstairs bathroom :)


Friday 6pm :

So the winds are picking up now. Not really noteworthy just much stronger. No rain, lots of scary clouds. All of my neighbors are "hunkered down" (lol). Appears as though noone in my hood is leaving. And it would be "certain death" if they tried.

PS: As a fun game take a shot every time you hear "hunkered down" or "certain death" in reference to Ike. You'll be long passed out under the sofa before it hits at midnight!


Thursday 9pm:

Thanks for the all phone calls and words of wisdom. I'm riding out the storm in Houston. Ike is a strange storm, its a Cat 3 but that is at the top of the storm, The bottom, which is what we will feel is Cat 1.

We'll get 100 MPH wind "gusts". Bad but not nearly as bad as say Camille, which I lived through in Mobile AL. If remember correctly we had upwards of 170 MPH "gusts".

Evacuations were not mandatory or even suggested for my area. And considering Austin, San Anotnio and Dallas will all feel Cat 1 hurricane winds and experience some massive flooding, why spend countless hours on the road for something you can get at home! :)

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger suzy said...

Stay safe. I will send massive good thoughts your way.

11:28 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Suzy, Im sure everything will be fine. Its turning more toward Beaumont now.

12:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, we've just come up with a new drinking game - drink a shot every time you hear "hunker down" on the news. j

5:31 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

LOL, sheesh, I'd be pissed and passed out by now if I did that!

I do feel a nice vodka tonic coming on right before midnight :)

6:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hope youre doing well. after reading an article about the storm, i thought of you since youre the only person i "know" in houston. :)

geesh...im a wimp. we left b/c of tropical storm fay, and would leave again if another tropical storm came around again. a cat 3 hurricane....youre awesome.

6:53 AM

 
Blogger JC said...

When you get Electricity back on - let us konw how you are doing. The Austin TV stations all switched to the broadcast the Houston channels around 11pm last night and are still show Houston channels at 11am today...
At least there is a cold front coming in since you won't have electricity nor A/C for awhile

10:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. We have all been wondering how you were doing.
Love,
DC Mom

11:18 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks Rachel, it wasnt nearly as bad as the dramamtic footage I'm sure you have all seen on TV.

6:14 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Power came on today JC. It wasnt really bad since the storm cooled things off into the low 80s. The only thing that sucks is that after 48 hours of no power everything in my fridge must GO!

6:15 PM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Everything is fine DCM!

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home