Food, drink, film and other random thoughts from The Lone Star State.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Albóndigas de Jaime

San Antonio left a culinary impression. I was really impressed with the Albóndigas I had at Guajillo's, so I tried them myself. Not exactly like the one's I had but still noteworthy and servable to guests.

These are extra spicy, so cut the chipotle in half if you are heat-challenged.

Meatballs

  • 1 lb Ground Beef
  • 1 lb Ground Pork
  • 1/4 C Plain Breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 C Cooked Short-grain Rice
  • 3 T Chopped Garlic
  • 3 T Chopped Cilantro
  • 1 T Dried Oregano
  • 1/2 T Salt
  • 1 t Black Pepper
  • 1/4 t Chipotle Pepper
  • 1/4 t Allspice
  • 1 t Cumin

Sauce

  • 60 ounce tomato puree
  • 3/4 C Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
  • 2 t Onion Powder
  • 2 t Garlic Salt
  • 1 t Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 t Dried Oregano
  • 2 Ounce Dark Chocolate, Chopped
  • 1 t Black Pepper


To make sauce: Place all ingredients into a large saucepan and cook over high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour, occassionally uncovering to stir, taste and adjust seasonings.

To make meatballs: Preheat oven to 400. Mix meat and spices together by hand in a large bowl until blended. Form into 1-2 inch balls. Place meatballs on a baking pan and cook in the oven until firm, about 12-15 minutes. Remove and place into sauce. Simmer the meatballs in sauce covered for about 10 minutes.

To assemble: Serve 4-5 meatballs and sauce over rice, pasta or just by themselves. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

Alas I was bad and ate them before taking a picture, when I defrost one of the leftovers I'll capture an image.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

OK, I'm cut & pasting the recipe, 'cause all I have to do is replace the pork with grnd turkey or chicken.

Thanks for posting. That looks really good.

5:28 AM

 
Blogger Jim said...

Michael, its extremely good. I tried the turkey only version recently and it was also very good. Its the sauce that makes this dish.

8:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home